    Thanks
    -John
    http://www.iunknown.com
    John Lam, Sep 10, 2003

  2. Hi John ,

    Thanks for your posting. I am checking this issue, and will get back to you
    with my findings.

    Best regards,
    Lewis

    --------------------
    | From: "John Lam" <>
    | Subject: Recycling aspnet_wp.exe a pain in the !@#$%
    | Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 21:39:48 -0400
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
    |
    | I've been spending some time recently writing some ASP.NET authentication
    | code that relies on CAS to minimize the threat posed by luring attacks.
    | However, it's becoming, um, painful, to constantly have to recycle the
    | aspnet_wp.exe worker process via an IISRESET command every single time I
    | rebuild my app!
    |
    | Is there some secret handshake that will disable GAC caching in IIS?
    During

    Lewis Wang [MSFT], Sep 11, 2003

  3. Hi John,

    Please let me know why you have to recycle the aspnet_wp.exe worker process
    via an IISRESET command every single time you rebuild the application. I
    think It's not necessary to reset IIS when you rebuild the application.

    I am looking forward to your reply.

    Best regards,
    Lewis

    --------------------

    Lewis Wang [MSFT], Sep 11, 2003
  4. John Lam

    MSFT Guest

    Hi John,

    I am not sure if I have understood the problem correctly. It looks to me
    that you want GAC not cache a .NET Assembly. Is my understanding correct?

    Actually, GAC is not controled by IIS. And all assembly in GAC have a
    strong name. If your assembly doesn't have one, it wouldn't be added in
    GAC. Additionally, you can manage the assembly in GAC with a utility
    "gacutil.exe". For more information on this tool, you can refer to:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cptools/htm
    l/cpgrfglobalassemblycacheutilitygacutilexe.asp

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    MSFT, Sep 16, 2003
  5. John Lam

    John Lam Guest

    Hi Luke,

    Actually, the issue is that I want there to be a flag in ASP.NET that causes
    ASP.NET to NOT load strong-named assemblies as domain-neutral.

    I apologize if my references to the GAC caused you to misunderstand the
    issue.

    Try building an ASP.NET app that calls a strong-named assembly (don't put it
    into the GAC). Then make a change to that assembly and see if you can just
    rebuild the solution. You can't - you must do an IISRESET before you will
    see the changes. This is due to the fact that the ASP.NET worker process
    loads the strong-named assembly as domain-neutral. If this wasn't the case
    (as per the "I'm developing the app now, so don't cache" flag that I'm
    requesting), then the strong-named assembly will be flushed and a new
    appdomain created.

    -John
    http://www.iunknown.com

    John Lam, Sep 16, 2003
  6. John Lam

    MSFT Guest

    Hi John,

    I tested the problem with VS.NET 2002 and IIS 5 and I haven't found the
    same problem. When we add a reference (for example, a.dll) to a project, it
    will copy a.dll to its Bin folder. When we compile the refered project, it
    will write to local bin folder, not the ASPNET appliaction's Bin folder.
    Therefore, there wouldn't be a conflict. Did you put all assembly in one
    Bin folder?

    MSFT, Sep 18, 2003