Redhat 9.0 ftp Incompatabilities?

Discussion in 'Perl' started by David Jones, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. David Jones

    David Jones Guest

    Hi, the first question has nothing to do with Perl, can anyone tell me why:

    1. When I ftp a file from RH 9.0 to AIX, regardless of transfer mode
    (binary or ASCII), the resultant file always has "^M"s appended to each
    line?

    2. The RH 9.0 ftp daemon (ftpd) returns "OK" when you list a
    non-existant file or directory? By "OK" I mean, it prints "226 Directory
    send OK." and gives a status code of "2", whereas other ftp daemons
    (TRU-64, AIX, even IIS!) return "5". These codes I obtained by using the
    Perl NET::FTP module.

    3. The RH 9.0 ftp daemon (ftpd) cannot the "size" command from Perl
    NET::FTP (i.e. $ftp->size($filename)), while "size" does work when
    issued from an ftp command-line client?

    My assumption of complete compability between different "flavours" of
    UNIX was obviously, err, optimistic. :)

    Cheers,
    Dave
    David Jones, Dec 16, 2003

  2. David Jones

    UnixFan Guest

    David Jones <> wrote in message news:<L7wDb.54463$>...
    > Hi, the first question has nothing to do with Perl, can anyone tell me why:
    >
    > 1. When I ftp a file from RH 9.0 to AIX, regardless of transfer mode
    > (binary or ASCII), the resultant file always has "^M"s appended to each
    > line?

    Verify your original file: the "^M"s are most probably there, run "od"
    command to check, not "vi".

    UnixFan, Dec 17, 2003