    Where, exactly do you set this?

    --
    Mike W

    VisionSet, Sep 19, 2003

  2. VisionSet

    Suresh Guest

    Suresh, Sep 19, 2003

  3. VisionSet

    VisionSet Guest

    Not helpful, I've been down that road.

    I want to redirect the output you get in the dos window when you startup
    tomcat.
    This does not by default go to any log file.
    I've read something about having entries in a jk2 & worker file but don't
    understand what it is on about.

    --
    Mike W

    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=configuring tomcat log files

    VisionSet, Sep 19, 2003
  4. "VisionSet" <> wrote in message
    > Not helpful, I've been down that road.
    >
    > I want to redirect the output you get in the dos window when you startup
    > tomcat.
    > This does not by default go to any log file.

    The output of startup.bat doesn't come from Tomcat but from the batch file.
    You can modify the batch file to redirect output to a file - try Windows
    help for batch files.

    William Brogden, Sep 20, 2003
  5. VisionSet

    VisionSet Guest

    "William Brogden" <> wrote in message

    > "VisionSet" <> wrote in message
    > > Not helpful, I've been down that road.
    > >
    > > I want to redirect the output you get in the dos window when you startup
    > > tomcat.
    > > This does not by default go to any log file.

    > The output of startup.bat doesn't come from Tomcat but from the batch

    file.
    > You can modify the batch file to redirect output to a file - try Windows
    > help for batch files.

    okay so apparantly I can do:

    cmd > myTxt.txt

    to write to a file

    this tries to work when executing a bat, but the file is empty

    ie startup.bat > myTxt.txt

    I imagine the output of startup.bat is nill, and it in turn calls
    catalina.bat

    but I can't seem to get anything however I do it. Has anyone done this on
    windows?

    Also

    you can start tomcat 4.1 with java.exe

    C:\j2sdk1.4.0\bin\java.exe -jar -Duser.dir="C:\Tomcat 4.1" "C:\Tomcat
    4.1\bin\bootstrap.jar" start

    Would that help me ?

    --
    Mike W

    VisionSet, Sep 20, 2003
  6. VisionSet

    VisionSet Guest

    "VisionSet" <> wrote in message
    > "William Brogden" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "VisionSet" <> wrote in message
    > > > Not helpful, I've been down that road.
    > > >
    > > > I want to redirect the output you get in the dos window when you

    startup
    > > > tomcat.
    > > > This does not by default go to any log file.

    > > The output of startup.bat doesn't come from Tomcat but from the batch

    > file.
    > > You can modify the batch file to redirect output to a file - try Windows
    > > help for batch files.

    > okay so apparantly I can do:
    >
    > cmd > myTxt.txt
    >
    > to write to a file
    >
    > this tries to work when executing a bat, but the file is empty
    >
    > ie startup.bat > myTxt.txt
    >
    > I imagine the output of startup.bat is nill, and it in turn calls
    > catalina.bat
    >
    > but I can't seem to get anything however I do it. Has anyone done this on
    > windows?
    >
    > Also
    >
    > you can start tomcat 4.1 with java.exe
    >
    > C:\j2sdk1.4.0\bin\java.exe -jar -Duser.dir="C:\Tomcat 4.1" "C:\Tomcat
    > 4.1\bin\bootstrap.jar" start
    >
    > Would that help me ?

    Yes it does, and for anyone else in the same predicament,
    you can, on Windows, just do:

    C:\j2sdk1.4.0\bin\java.exe -jar -Duser.dir="C:\Tomcat 4.1" "C:\Tomcat
    4.1\bin\bootstrap.jar" start > startupLog.txt

    and it should, after all shutdown again, have any stack traces in their full
    glory.

    --
    Mike W

    VisionSet, Sep 20, 2003
  7. VisionSet

    Sudsy Guest

    VisionSet wrote:
    > Not helpful, I've been down that road.
    >
    > I want to redirect the output you get in the dos window when you startup
    > tomcat.
    > This does not by default go to any log file.
    > I've read something about having entries in a jk2 & worker file but don't
    > understand what it is on about.

    $ cd $TOMCAT_HOME
    $ bin/startup.sh -noout

    Sudsy, Sep 20, 2003