redirect with no META

digime

Hi, is possible to redirect to a page without
using META tag.

Are there other methods?

thanx for any help

Carolyn Marenger

Hi, is possible to redirect to a page without using META tag.

Are there other methods?

thanx for any help

A really good way, that works with browser back buttons is a message
including a link to the new page. Let the end user click to go.

Carolyn

digime

yes thanx... but I need that for other purposes...

anyway I solved my problem..
to redirect the page in .htaccess file on Authentication required 401
error...

it works fine!

thanx anyway

Edwin van der Vaart

You can use .htaccess, php or asp.
A really good way, that works with browser back buttons is a message
including a link to the new page. Let the end user click to go.
That's a good one :eek:)

Edwin van der Vaart

digime said:
Hi, is possible to redirect to a page without
using META tag.

Are there other methods?
With .htaccess
http://wsabstract.com/howto/htaccess7.shtml or
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_alias.html#redirect

With http
http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/reback or
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.1/en/mod/mod_alias.html#redirect

With php
Redirection without a timer
<?php header("Location: http://www.xxx.com/"); ?>

Redirection with a timer
<?php header("Refresh: 5;url=http://www.xxx.com/"); ?>

digime

thanx to all

but check this site: www.lasta.si

there is a link on support that is under .htaccess password

i needed that redirect only if the user enter wrong password
so on error 401

mark | r

digime said:
Hi, is possible to redirect to a page without
using META tag.

Are there other methods?

thanx for any help

<script>
top.location='newpage.htm'
</script>

Mark

digime

very thanx.. that I search for!!

genius!

in .htaccess my line before:

ErrorDocument 401 "<html><head><META
html>

my line after:

ErrorDocument 401 "<script>top.location='../notsupport.htm'</script>

thanx again

Steve Pugh

I'm trying to think of any advantages of using JavaScript (which is
what this is) over a meta refresh. It has all the disadvantages that
the meta refresh has and will probably work for even fewer users.
very thanx.. that I search for!!

genius!

in .htaccess my line before:

ErrorDocument 401 "<html><head><META
html>

my line after:

ErrorDocument 401 "<script>top.location='../notsupport.htm'</script>

ErrorDocument 401 /notsupport.htm

would seem to be the obvious and proper solution. See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html.en#errordocument

Steve

digime

Yes, that seems the very right method to do
and it is the very first code I try.
But not local and nor entire url works..??

I do something wrong?

is maybe there an old version of Apache?

I don't understand the article about ErrorDocument directive?
So if on 401 I call the local file then I will be allways prompted for
a password and the document never appears.

I try to use:

ErrorDocument 401 /../nonsupport.htm
ErrorDocument 401 http://www.lasta.si/nonsupport.htm
ErrorDocument 401 <script>top.location='../notsupport.htm'</script>
ErrorDocument 401 "<html><head><META http-equiv="refresh"

the last two work fine!
and note the last one! to work I must remove the last quote """ ??? :)))

bwahhh, never mind there are too much variables to take care about.
How can I know for a problem that the webmaster had?.

META variant works fine, I take it.

regards

Toby Inkster

digime said:
So if on 401 I call the local file then I will be allways prompted for
a password and the document never appears.

Your problem appears to be that the "401 Not Authorised" error message
itself is password-protected.