Referencing a method in a module

Charles Roper

Say I have the following:

module Foo

def bar
puts "Baz"
end

If I want to write about (in some documentation, or a bug report) the
bar method of the Foo module, what's the best way of referring to it? E.g.,

I have found a bug in Foo::bar
I have found a bug in Foo.bar
I have found a bug in the bar method of the Foo module

Or some other way?

Many thanks!

Charles

Farrel Lifson

Foo#bar is usually used for instance methods, Foo.bar for class
methods. In this case I think Foo#bar is correct.

Farrel

Charles Roper

Foo#bar is usually used for instance methods, Foo.bar for class
methods. In this case I think Foo#bar is correct.

Ah, yes, I think I've seen that. And so Foo::Bar would be for a class
within a module?

Many thanks, Farrel.

Charles

Rick DeNatale

Ah, yes, I think I've seen that. And so Foo::Bar would be for a class within
a module?

More generally

Foo::Bar

refers to the constant named Bar within the namespace named Foo.

Foo could be either a Module or a Class

The value of Bar could be a Module, a Class, or actually any value

module Foo
class Bar
Baz = 42
end
module ClassMethods
end
end

Foo is a module here,

Foo::Bar is a class

Foo::ClassMethods is a module

Foo:Bar::Baz is an integer.

--
Rick DeNatale

Charles Roper

More generally

=C2=A0Foo::Bar

refers to the constant named Bar within the namespace named Foo.

Rick, many thanks, your explanation is most illuminating.

Cheers,
Charles