Referencing listbox value error

Allan Horwitz

When I try to reference the lstproducts.selecteditem.value using
autopostback from the lstproducts listbox I get an error? How can I
fix my code to get the selected value from the lstproducts listbox?

Any help will be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Allan

error code:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not
set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Line 75: response.write(lstproducts.selecteditem.value +
" ")

source code:
<%@ Page Language="VB" debug="true"%>
<%@ import Namespace="system.data.sqlclient" %>
<script runat="server">

' Insert page code here
'
dim strbg as string="white"

sub page_load

dim strOrderBy as string

if not ispostback then

strOrderBy = "SSN"

else

if radSSN.checked then
strOrderBy = "SSN"
else
strOrderBy = "Name"
end if

end if

dim conMyData as sqlconnection
dim cmdSelect as sqlcommand
dim dtrNames as sqldatareader

conMyData = new
sqlconnection("server=xxxxxxxx;uid=xxxxxx;pwd=xxxxx;database=xxxxxx")
conMyData.open()

if strOrderBy = "SSN" then
cmdSelect = new sqlcommand("select ssn + ' | ' +
lname + ', ' + fname as person, ssn from EEHIST where deleted = 0
order by SSN", conMyData)
lblHeader.text = "Find Employee By SSN"
else
cmdSelect = new sqlcommand("select ssn + ' | ' +
lname + ', ' + fname as person, ssn from EEHIST where deleted = 0
order by lname", conMyData)
lblHeader.text = "Find Employee By Name"
end if

dtrNames = cmdSelect.ExecuteReader()

lstProducts.datasource = dtrNames
lstProducts.datatextfield = "person"
lstProducts.datavaluefield = "ssn"

lstProducts.databind()

dtrNames.close()

conMyData.close()

end sub

sub lstproducts_selectedindexchanged(s as object, e as
eventargs)

response.write(lstproducts.selecteditem.value + " ")
response.write("emps_person_plan.aspx")

end sub

sub lstcolors_selectedindexchanged(s as object, e as eventargs)

response.write(lstcolors.selecteditem.value + " ")
strbg = lstcolors.selecteditem.value
if strbg <> "white" then
response.write("not white")
end if
'response.redirect("emps.aspx")

end sub

</script>
<head>
</head>
<form runat="server">

<asp:listbox id="lstcolors" autopostback="true"
onselectedindexchanged="lstcolors_selectedindexchanged"
runat="server">

<asp:listitem text="select one" value="white" selected="true"/>
<asp:listitem text="red" value="red"/>
<asp:listitem text="green" value="green"/>
<asp:listitem text="blue" value="blue"/>

</asp:listbox>

<asp:radiobutton id="radSSN" checked="true" groupname="orderby"
autopostback="true" text="By SSN" runat="server"/>

<asp:radiobutton id="radName" groupname="orderby" autopostback="true"
text="By Name" runat="server"/>

<asp:label id="lblHeader" runat="server"/>

<asp:listbox id="lstproducts"
onselectedindexchanged="lstproducts_selectedindexchanged"
autopostback="true" rows="10" font-size="14px"
runat="server"/>

</form>

Alvin Bruney

Before you access the object make sure you have tested it to see if it is
valid first. It may not be for a variety of reasons. Consider (defensive
program)

if(listbox1 != null && listbox.selectedindex > -1)
//do something

otherwise there is no listbox or it doesn't contain a valid selection

Allan Horwitz

Thank you for the advice.

I was able to fix the problem by only populating the listbox on non-postbacks.

Sincerely,
Allan