Registering DLL on server

anon

Hi,

How do i register a DLL(like OWC) on the server...will just running
regsvr32 work....any syntax issues...??

Thanks.

Peter O'Reilly

Run regsvr32.exe from the command line. Text (or a pop-up) will appear
instructing you what the command line arguments are for this utility which
is to be used for COM type DLLs only.

anon

Hi,
I ran regsvr32 path\dllname on cmd n it gave me ddl succesfully
registered prompt, however i still get the error "CLSID is not valid or
not registered when i access the application and export to excel(which
is where i use OWC).I also tried placing the DLL in the bin
directory(not sure if this is a neccesity) and still the same.....is
there anything else i need to do, should i restart the server after
registering.....?...

Peter O'Reilly

What is OWC? OWC.DLL? As in Microsoft Office Web Components? If so, those
components are already registered when you install Microsoft Office. There
should be no need for you to register them (again).

Moving the DLL to the bin directory after it's been registered is a problem
to. If not moving after, then reregistering it in a different location,
without 1st unregistering it may cause problems.

More information needs to be provided to troubleshoot your problem.

anon

Thanks Peter !
By OWC, i mean Office Web Components....the server does not have
MSoffice installed which is why i would like to add just this dll(to the
appropriate folder,with the OWC on the development server) ....

Everytime i have experimented with different locations for the dll, i
have unregistered the dll and registered it again from the new location,
so this should not be a problem....

Where should this OWC10.DLL be placed....the server runs on windows
2000....

What about MSOWC.DLL...is this same as OWC(for office 2000, as OWC10 is
for XP?)..i have referenced OWC in my code,so should i add MSOWC.DLL or
OWC10 will do the job....

I hope you can help me with this, been stuck with it for a while now....

Thanks for your time.

Kevin Spencer

I believe that in order to use Office COM objects on the server, you would
have to install a licensed copy of Office on the server, in which case all
of the COM DLLs for Office would be where they ought to be.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

anon

Thanks all for responding...solved the problem....
needed to use MSOWC.DLL...
For all those havign similar problems, i will try to add a step by step
procedure here:
1.Copy the MSOWC.DLL from your development machine(where the code works)
into C:\WINNT\system32 folder of your production server
2.run regsvr32 <filepath> (which will be as above mentioned).
3. you should get a popup box saying dllregistered succesfully or
something to that effect...
4.and u r all set....

Note: MSOWC.DLL is the dll name for the refernce OWC.....
OWC10.DLL is the dll name for the reference OWC10...

Cheers !

Ben

Peter O'Reilly

You may run into a problem in that the dlls you mention may be dependent on
other DLLS, of type COM and otherwise. If you have Visual Studio 6, there
are included utilities ("Tools") to tell you if this is true. Dependency is
one thing, Office Web Components may consist of more than one independent
DLL file.

If time is not a factor, then give it a try. Otherwise, the best bet is to
install MS Office. Actually, you may install only one Office product, say
Access 2000 to have
Office Web Components installed on your machine. Also note, your end users
must also have MS Office/OWC installed on their local (web client) machines
to use your application.