Regular Expression Search Algorithm

Owner

Regular Expression Search Algorithm
Ken Thompson. Communications of the ACM, vol. 11, no. 6, pp 419--422.

I'm looking for this document. Does anyone have it in pdf?

Keith Thompson

Owner said:
Regular Expression Search Algorithm
Ken Thompson. Communications of the ACM, vol. 11, no. 6, pp 419--422.

I'm looking for this document. Does anyone have it in pdf?

Yes, the ACM does, and you can buy it from them.

Since it was published in 1968, which predates the origin of the C
programming language, I hardly think it's topical here.

Owner

Yes, the ACM does, and you can buy it from them.

Since it was published in 1968, which predates the origin of the C
programming language, I hardly think it's topical here.

Thank you for the information. and wow is that old.
didn't even know that

Owner

Yes, the ACM does, and you can buy it from them.

Since it was published in 1968, which predates the origin of the C
programming language, I hardly think it's topical here.

One more question. Have you read the paper? Is it worth to
pay for it? Or is the content something available in the internet
commonly

Keith Thompson

Owner said:
One more question. Have you read the paper? Is it worth to
pay for it? Or is the content something available in the internet
commonly

I haven't read it.

I suggest comp.programming for any further discussion.

robertwessel2

Regular Expression Search Algorithm
Ken Thompson. Communications of the ACM, vol. 11, no. 6, pp 419--422.

I'm looking for this document.  Does anyone have it in pdf?

OT, but if you Google for "regular expression thomson", you'll find
plenty of references and discussions. As to whether or not the
original paper is worth reading: it depends on what you're trying to
accomplish. If you're trying to implement regular expressions
(especially of the type commonly seen in "grep" type applications),
the original paper is interesting, but not that crucial, and Thomson's
algorithm isn't really considered all that efficient. You should dig
up one of the multitudes of discussions of the subject. But I agree
with Keith, comp.programming is a better bet.

Uno

Keith said:
I haven't read it.

I suggest comp.programming for any further discussion.

What the hell, Kennith. '68 was forty years ago; it's a part of our
yatik now.

Nick Keighley

The word "yatik" appears to be an adjective meaning "aslope, decumbent,
leaning, tilting". I'm not sure what the noun form means. "Slope", possibly.

"Kennith" appears to be derived from the Gaelic, meaning "born of fire".

Neither of these expressions is particularly regular, however.

"The Arabic expression :'Allah yatik el afyeh Çááå íÚØíß ÇáÚÇÝíÉ means
'Allah gives you wellness' that means may Allah bless you with good
health and with recovery from any body illness and from any confused
thoughts and beliefs. "

so I guess "yatik" is "given" or "wellness".

freedom from confused thoughts sounds good...