Regular expressions in Ruby

Abder-rahman Ali

I'm new to Ruby, and just want to ask about how to read the following
statement from the "Agile Web Development With Rails, 3rd edition" book:

%r{\.(gif|jpg|png)$}i

I knew that %r is a way to write a regular expression.

But, what is the $, and the i?

Thanks.

Luis Parravicini

I'm new to Ruby, and just want to ask about how to read the following
statement from the "Agile Web Development With Rails, 3rd edition" book:

%r{\.(gif|jpg|png)$}i

I knew that %r is a way to write a regular expression.

But, what is the $, and the i?

$ matches the end of the string and i makes the search case
insensitve. This is not Ruby specific, perphaps you should read about
regular expressions. See http://www.regular-expressions.info/ruby.html

Bye

Jesús Gabriel y Galán

I'm new to Ruby, and just want to ask about how to read the following
statement from the "Agile Web Development With Rails, 3rd edition" book:

%r{\.(gif|jpg|png)$}i

I knew that %r is a way to write a regular expression.

But, what is the $, and the i?

I always have this link handy:

http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/QuickRef.html#11

$ matches the end of a line or string
i is a modifier that makes the regexp case insensitive.

Jesus.

Josh Cheek

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Abder-rahman Ali <
I'm new to Ruby, and just want to ask about how to read the following
statement from the "Agile Web Development With Rails, 3rd edition" book:

%r{\.(gif|jpg|png)$}i

It matches a dot, followed by either gif or jpg or png, at the end of the
string. It does not care about case.

For example, it would match

foo.gif
foo.GiF