Reinstalling Python Problem (Newbie)

beno

It's been years since I've done this. I had a programmer working for me
who disappeared one day, and now I'm taking over his responsibilities. I
need to re-configure Apache for mod_python which means I have to rebuild
python. I'm working with the latest distro. I'm heavily dependent on
zope, so all this has to work together. Platform is FreeBSD 5.? I have
the following questions:

What is meant by pointing to this folder thus:
../configure --prefix=/usr/python

When I run make test I get these errors:

2 tests failed:
test_mimetools test_urllib2
48 tests skipped:
test_aepack test_al test_applesingle test_asynchat test_bsddb
test_bsddb3 test_cd test_cl test_codecmaps_cn test_codecmaps_hk
test_codecmaps_jp test_codecmaps_kr test_codecmaps_tw test_curses
test_doctest test_fork1 test_gdbm test_gl test_imgfile test_imp
test_linuxaudiodev test_logging test_macfs test_macostools
test_nis test_normalization test_ossaudiodev test_pep277
test_plistlib test_queue test_scriptpackages test_socket
test_socket_ssl test_socketserver test_sunaudiodev test_tcl
test_thread test_threaded_import test_threadedtempfile
test_threading test_threading_local test_threadsignals
test_timeout test_unicode_file test_urllib2net test_urllibnet
test_winreg test_winsound
13 skips unexpected on freebsd5:
test_threadedtempfile test_imp test_threaded_import test_fork1
test_threading test_threadsignals test_socket test_thread
test_queue test_asynchat test_doctest test_threading_local
test_logging
*** Error code 1

I've googled this with no luck. Please advise what to do or at least how
to start
TIA,
beno

Avell Diroll

beno said:
It's been years since I've done this. I had a programmer working for me
who disappeared one day, and now I'm taking over his responsibilities. I
need to re-configure Apache for mod_python which means I have to rebuild
python. I'm working with the latest distro. I'm heavily dependent on
zope, so all this has to work together. Platform is FreeBSD 5.? I have
the following questions:

What is meant by pointing to this folder thus:
./configure --prefix=/usr/python

When I run make test I get these errors:
*** errors ***
I've googled this with no luck. Please advise what to do or at least how
to start
TIA,
beno

I believe this is not the best place to ask your question, ...
you should try :
* some freebsd resources (e.g. http://www.freebsd.org/community.html )

A few google hints anyway :
http://www.google.com/search?q=freebsd+mod_python+zope&hl=en :
http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-1390.html
http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2004-June/015722.html
http://codespeak.net/pipermail/railroad-dev/2005-April/000049.html
http://www.modpython.org/FAQ/faqw.py?req=show&file=faq02.011.htp

I don't have any freebsd system right now so I can't test anything, but
there's two suggestions from those resources :

* put the following lines in /usr/local/sbin/envvars :
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libc_r.so
export LD_PRELOAD

OR

* compile python without thread support

There seems to be those kind of question on the mod_python mailing list
(even on their FAQ), so I would _strongly_ suggest you to post your next
questions about mod_python there.

regards

Avell

John Machin

Avell said:
beno wrote:
I have to rebuild
python. [snip] Platform is FreeBSD 5.? I have
the following questions:

What is meant by pointing to this folder thus:
./configure --prefix=/usr/python

When I run make test I get these errors:
*** errors ***
I've googled this with no luck. Please advise what to do or at least how
to start
TIA,
beno

I believe this is not the best place to ask your question, ...
you should try :
* some freebsd resources (e.g. http://www.freebsd.org/community.html )

The OP said he is re-building Python, and showed output where tests of
Python failed. "mod_python" and "Zope" appear to be irrelevant to his
problem. "Python" would appear to me to be the most significant
keyword, with "freebsd" second.

This list is inhabited by heaps of people with experience of building
Python on *x platforms ... sorry, I'm not one such and can't help
further.

Cheers,
John

Avell Diroll

beno said:
I intend to do that. However, I think this is the RIGHT list to ask
questions pertinent to python...

I didn't intend to be abrupt, ... I was just in an hurry, sorry for
that. Anyway I still see this problem more as a program not compiling
correctly on Freebsd than python not compiling correctly on a platform
.... everybody has his own point of view :)

Anyway I don't have any freebsd box around any more, so there is no way
for me to reproduce your problem (hence my remark about the place to post).

Another thing, if you just want to use zope, it seems to be included in
freebsd ports ... so you should not need to compile anything to _run_
zope on your system, but maybe you need specific options not included in
the ports (this is only fully supported on freebsd-stable and
freebsd-current which are AFAIK respectively 6.1 and 7.).
Ref.:
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/zope.html
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/lang.html#python-2.4.3

Zope is not supported in 5.5 anymore but it is present in the ports archive.
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/5.5-RELEASE/ports/

To get back to your specific problem :
[...]

What do I do about the problems with mimetools and urllib2?

This is the last report of the 'make test' command and there should be a
few lines before that stating each test one by one and printing problems
has they appear, and sometime pointing at a possible source for the
specific problem. Have you got such a report for test_urllib2 ?
What is meant by pointing to this folder thus (as the installation
instructions instruct):
./configure --prefix=/usr/python

The autotools (configure/make/make install) default installation
directory is /usr/local by using the prefix option, you are indicating
that you want to install all the python files in /usr/python when you
will execute the command 'make install' (instead of /usr/local). I don't
know which installation instructions you are following, but FWIK this is
not a standard place for python to be installed (although it is
recommended in the README for the AtheOS platform ...).
BTW, the modpython site is down!

It was up when I sent my first mail, and it is up as I send this one.
http://www.modpython.org/
TIA,
beno

As I stated before I don't have any freebsd box to play with ...
HTH

Regards

Avell

Avell Diroll

*** tidying a little ***
This is the last report of the 'make test' command and there should be
a few lines before that stating each test one by one and printing
problems has they appear, and sometime pointing at a possible source
for the specific problem. Have you got such a report for test_urllib2 ?
Here it is for both:

test_mimetools
test test_mimetools failed -- Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/zope/py243/Lib/test/test_mimetools.py", line 30, in
test_boundary
nb = mimetools.choose_boundary()
File "/usr/local/zope/py243/Lib/mimetools.py", line 130, in
choose_boundary
hostid = socket.gethostbyname(socket.gethostname())
gaierror: (8, 'hostname nor servname provided, or not known')

test_urllib2
test test_urllib2 failed -- Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/zope/py243/Lib/test/test_urllib2.py", line 352, in
test_file
for url in [
gaierror: (8, 'hostname nor servname provided, or not known')

Looks like the same error ;) So, where am I supposed to provide this
servname?

*** tidying a little ***

This gethostname() problem in the test suite looks like an old problem.

I believe your problem is related to what Anthony Baxter and Guido van
Rossum where discussing back in 2004 on the python-dev mailing list :
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-November/040501.html

To put things short the test suite might fail on any test using
socket.gethostname() on a machine where /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts are
not matching.
If that is the case for your machine, the problem is coming from the
test suite, not your python build.

regards,

Avell