    Sugest me certain ways through which i can Minimize the losses due to
    the precision of floats and double .
    Thanx in advance.

    Amit Kumar, May 15, 2006

  2. Amit Kumar

    Eric Sosman Guest

    Amit Kumar wrote On 05/15/06 06:56,:
    > Sugest me certain ways through which i can Minimize the losses due to
    > the precision of floats and double .

    There is very little you can do to affect the errors
    that creep in at each individual operation. What you can
    do, though, is try to arrange the overall calculation so
    that the errors tend to diminish rather than grow after
    they're introduced.

    The field of study is called "Numerical Analysis,"
    and it is a large field. You should be able to find some
    introductory textbooks that will get you well started.

    Eric Sosman, May 15, 2006

  3. Eric Sosman wrote:

    > Amit Kumar wrote On 05/15/06 06:56,:
    >
    >>Sugest me certain ways through which i can Minimize the losses due to
    >>the precision of floats and double .

    > There is very little you can do to affect the errors
    > that creep in at each individual operation. What you can
    > do, though, is try to arrange the overall calculation so
    > that the errors tend to diminish rather than grow after
    > they're introduced.
    >
    > The field of study is called "Numerical Analysis,"
    > and it is a large field. You should be able to find some
    > introductory textbooks that will get you well started.

    I agree with Eric's comments.

    Also, one way to reduce "the losses due to the precision of floats and
    double" is to ignore float.

    Patricia

    Patricia Shanahan, May 15, 2006