RELEASED Python 2.6a3 and 3.0a5

Barry Warsaw

castironpi

Does signal freeze signal signal freeze? Or should ideas pend beta?

Kay Schluehr

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.0/python-3.0a5.msi

Error 404: File Not Found

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.0/python-3.0a5.amd64.msi

Error 404: File Not Found

Stéphane Larouche

After I installer Python 2.6a3, Matlab R2007a began having problems. When I
start Matlab, it shows a window indicating that it is installing Microsoft
Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable, which fails, and then Matlab closes. This
problem did not happen with Python 2.6a2 and removing Python 2.6a3 solves the
problem.

Is anybody else having the same problem? Do you know what causes it? Is there a
workaround?

castironpi

After I installer Python 2.6a3, Matlab R2007a began having problems. When I
start Matlab, it shows a window indicating that it is installing Microsoft
Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable, which fails, and then Matlab closes. This
problem did not happen with Python 2.6a2 and removing Python 2.6a3 solves the
problem.

Is anybody else having the same problem? Do you know what causes it? Is there a
workaround?

That one might be a true, "Don't stampede the Python." Numbers have
been known grow. (...not that the numbers do.) Bread and butter, new
butter.

George Sakkis

On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I
am happy to announce the third alpha release of Python 2.6, and the
fifth alpha release of Python 3.0.

Please note that these are alpha releases, and as such are not
suitable for production environments.  We continue to strive for a
high degree of quality, but there are still some known problems and
the feature sets have not been finalized.  These alphas are being
released to solicit feedback and hopefully discover bugs, as well as
allowing you to determine how changes in 2.6 and 3.0 might impact
you.  If you find things broken or incorrect, please submit a bug
report at

   http://bugs.python.org

For more information and downloadable distributions, see the Python
2.6 website:

   http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6/

and the Python 3.0 web site:

   http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.0/

These are the last planned alphas for both versions.  If all goes
well, next month will see the first beta releases of both, which will
also signal feature freeze.  Two beta releases are planned, with the
final releases scheduled for September 3, 2008.

See PEP 361 for release details:

     http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0361/

Enjoy,
- -Barry

I'm trying to install on the latest Ubuntu (8.04) and the following
extension modules fail:

_bsddb, _curses, _curse_panel, _hashlib, _sqlite3, _ssl, _tkinter,
bz2, dbm, gdbm, readline, zlib

All of them except for _tkinter are included in the preinstalled
Python 2.5.2, so I guess the dependencies must be somewhere there.
Does Ubuntu have any non-standard lib dir ?

George

Martin v. Löwis

I'm trying to install on the latest Ubuntu (8.04) and the following
extension modules fail:

_bsddb, _curses, _curse_panel, _hashlib, _sqlite3, _ssl, _tkinter,
bz2, dbm, gdbm, readline, zlib

All of them except for _tkinter are included in the preinstalled
Python 2.5.2, so I guess the dependencies must be somewhere there.
Does Ubuntu have any non-standard lib dir ?

You need to manually install the -dev packages (through aptitude)
before building Python.

Regards,
Martin