Remote IIS?

Tim Baur

I am a developer for a large company that has recently started flirting
with .NET. I've convinced my manager that it would be a good platform for
our next web project, and it looks like it should be possible to install it
on my team's laptops. The problem is that my company has a specific policy
against installing IIS, and they don't appear to be anywhere close to
changing that policy any time soon.

While I can't install it locally, I can obtain access to a remote server.

Is it possible to develop using a remote IIS instance?

Tim Baur

Not to answer your question, just to comment.

If you are just starting, you are likely to start with Asp.Net 2.0. in
which you don't need IIS for development.

Eliyahu

I had hoped to create a new web project and use code-behind pages with
my ASP. I would also like to port my VB6 object model. I understood
that this type of application required IIS. When I create the project,
..NET looks for the server and errors when it can't find it.

Forgive me if I'm not making a lot of sense, I'm still very new with
this.

Eliyahu Goldin

Not to answer your question, just to comment.

If you are just starting, you are likely to start with Asp.Net 2.0. in which
you don't need IIS for development.

Eliyahu

Eliyahu Goldin

What version of Asp.Net are you using? 1.1 requires IIS, 2.0 doesn't. If you
are just starting, you should start straight with 2.0.

Eliyahu

Tim Baur

What version of Asp.Net are you using? 1.1 requires IIS, 2.0 doesn't.
If you are just starting, you should start straight with 2.0.

Eliyahu

At this point, I assume I'm going to be using 2.0. Regardless, I hope to
be able to use .NET web controls such as the Validator in my application.
It was my understanding the the .NET IDE required IIS locally when
instantiating the project.

You say that ASP 2.0 doesn't require this - does this mean that I will have
the full power of the .NET web project IDE when working on my site without
IIS? That seems hard to believe.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
You say that ASP 2.0 doesn't require this - does this mean that
I will have the full power of the .NET web project IDE when
working on my site without IIS? That seems hard to believe.

Believe it... ;-)

All you have to do is create a new Website,
and select the "File System" option.

All your page requests will be served through the
Cassini-based internal web server in VS.NET.

No IIS needed for development/testing purposes.

Tim Baur

Cassini-based internal web server in VS.NET.

This is excellent news. Does the Cassini server install as a forced
component, or is it possible to disable it? Also, is this included with
all versions of VS.Net, or just 2003 & 2005?

Eliyahu Goldin

Don't know if it is possible to disable the Cassini.

VS.Net 2003 works with Asp.Net 1.1 and doesn't include the internal web
server.
VS.Net 2005 works with Asp.Net 2.0 and does include the internal web server.

Eliyahu

Juan T. Llibre

Tim Baur

Yes, it's a forced install,
and I don't know of any way to disable it.

A modified version of Cassini is included with VS 2005,
but is not included in VS 2003.

If you wish to use Cassini for ASP.NET 1.1, either install the
WebMatrix http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/Default.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1
( a modified version of Cassini is included with it... )

or install Cassini itself ( source code included ) :
http://www.asp.net/Projects/Cassini/Download/Default.aspx?tabindex=0 &ta
bid=1

Thank you both for the insight. Sounds like I'm in good shape with
2005, and am going to have to figure something out with 2003. Due to
the nature of the data I work with, my user on my development machine is
not an Administrator. I'm limited in what I can install without seeking
approval from a non-standards committee.