Remote Site Replication, directory browsing, and default.aspx

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tim Smith, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. Tim Smith

    Tim Smith Guest

    Dear All,

    Uncovered a problem with a home grown site replicator. We have directory
    browsing enabled to allow our remote clients to "dynamically discover" new
    files/directories (sites) we have deployed.

    As it turns out, some application groups are using our tool as a way to
    transfer dump files from our datawarehouse. Everything has been working
    great.

    However, we just recently added a default.aspx to the root directory to
    allow end-users to navigate these directories in an easier way
    (user-friendly names, etc). As a result, we broke some of the processes
    that use our site to replicate dump files.

    It seems that they cannot list the directories anymore (they can still do an
    explicit GET of known files). Is there a setting and/or workaround for this
    issue? Is there anyway I can have my cake and eat it too? That is, can I
    have directory browsing enabled for some and a default page for others?

    TIA
    Tim

    Tim Smith, Dec 7, 2004