Removing a file in C

Kenny McCormack

Stephen Sprunk said:
What annoys me here isn't the nit-picking per se, since I learn from
that; it's the cascade of oneupmanship that ensues as each of the
nitpickers insists on correcting (or duplicating) each others'
corrections, completely drowning out the useful answers.

Gee. Ya think?

Guest

What annoys me here isn't the nit-picking per se, since I learn from
that; it's the cascade of oneupmanship that ensues as each of the
nitpickers insists on correcting (or duplicating) each others'
corrections, completely drowning out the useful answers.

could you give an example where you believed this happened?
That is, people posting duplicate information for the purposes of one-
upmanship.

[Note To Trolls: a reply like "every other post in this newsgroup!"
doesnn't constitute a constructive answer]

Richard Bos

Richard said:
A few people are starting to see the light.

Not to mention all the idiots slapping one another on the back for
pointing out how much they hate this very nitpickiness, and how kewl
they themselves are. Right, Antoninus?

Richard

Antoninus Twink

Not to mention all the idiots slapping one another on the back for
pointing out how much they hate this very nitpickiness, and how kewl
they themselves are. Right, Antoninus?

With respect, that is a ridiculous characterization.

This is not a chicken and egg situation. If a small number of people
would learn to live and let live, then there would be no more strife in
this newsgroup.

As it is, those who favor a more rounded approach to C are forced to
make a certain amount of noise, because the holdouts from the ancien
regime insist on telling new posters to get lost (oh so politely, of
course - "don't let the door hit you on the way out!"). Of course it is
important to respond to such deliberate provocation by explaining kindly
that the newbie should not be deterred by the views of this vociferous
minority, who won't give them any help with their question anyway.

Every newbie who gets intimidated away from this group is another move
towards the sterilization the discussions here to encompass dry ISO
arcana an nothing else.

lawrence.jones

Antoninus Twink said:
If a small number of people
would learn to live and let live, then there would be no more strife in
this newsgroup.

Yes. Unfortunately, there's no general agreement on exactly *which*
people it is who need to learn that lesson. ;-)