rendering a tree

VisionSet

I have a tree structure with over 500,000 nodes.
I would like to create a GUI to scroll over (or expand nodes as you go) a
rendered view of the structure.
I assume that as you navigate from the root node, the object graph will be
queried and somehow rendered. What is the best way to do this?
I'm not sure the best approach for the algorithm, for instance spacing of
child elements when further down the tree the nodes may not fit in the
available space. There seems a popular implementation knocking around that
has nodes on springy edges and seems to dynamically space itself - anyone
got a uri for this?

TIA
Mike W

Matt Humphrey