Rendering

Yama

Hi,

I have 20 javascript files I would like to dynamically write to my rendered
web page. What I would like to do is instead of saving them into a database
table save them into a XML file then retrieve them according to user
selection. The question is how do I do that?

How can I save into a XML text and special character?

For example:

<script language=javascript>
<!--
alert("hello world") ;
// times another few 100s of line of code
-->
</script>

Question:
How can I save this into a XML file then get the row dynamically during
runtime?

Thanks,

~yamazed

Bruce Barker

use the xmlwriter or dom, they will handle the incoding.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Yama

Hi,

Yes but I would prefer to copy the content of my filename.js into an XML
file then retrieve them by resding from them. I am not interested in writing
to an XML file.

Once I figured out how to save script data into an XML file I can figure out
how to read from it.

Thanks,

~yamazed

Guest

Let me just try to recap the story.

You want to select different parts of javascripts and group them together
probably using some kind of factory pattern. (Since this is great for
grouping look a lot alike things)

Then you are going to store the data in an XML file using a dom document
which you can find in System.Xml (you may have to register an extra assembly
to your project)

You can do this by simple adding a new Node and filling the .text of that
Node with your JavaScript. You may need to do something extra to make sure
the xml stays valid ( a <![CDATA[]]> something like that) tag. otherwise your
parser won't make heads or tails out of the data anymore.

Does this answer your question, or am I just blabbing away ??

--
Rainier van Slingerlandt
www.slingerlandt.com

Please hit the Yes button If my effort is helpfull.

Yama

Excellent point! In fact yes this is a factory behavior as there are a
family of scripts all deriving from a single source.

Okay I am not very familiar with CDATA.

Say I have something like this:

<jsScripts>
<jsScript id='ie6'>
<![CDATA[
function TestIE6(){ alert("I am using IE6"); }
]]>
</jsScript >
<jsScript id='ie5'>
<![CDATA[
function TestIE6(){ alert("I am using IE5"); }
]]>
</jsScript >
<jsScript id='nn6'>
<![CDATA[
function TestIE6(){ alert("I am using NN6"); }
]]>
</jsScript >
</jsScripts>

Save this as test.xml

Now how would I retrieve this from my application by id?

Thanks

Yama

Yama said:
Hi,

Yes but I would prefer to copy the content of my filename.js into an XML
file then retrieve them by resding from them. I am not interested in
writing
to an XML file.

Once I figured out how to save script data into an XML file I can figure
out
how to read from it.

Thanks,

~yamazed

Bruce Barker

load the xml into a dom, then use an xpath query to find the node.

XmlDocument doc = new XmlDocument();
doc.Load(new XmlReader(filename));
string script = doc.SelectSingleNode("//jsScript
[@id='ie6']").InnerText;

of course splitting the scripts by browser is not a good idea. you should
use one script that test the browser features and before using them. any
advanced client script tutorial should cover this.

-- bruce (sqlworks.com)