Renew IIS session with an image request?

A Traveler

Hello,

Given that a particular iis server has its session timeout set to the
default of 20mins, what will renew the request in order to prevent it timing
out? Is it only code-type things, such as ASP[X] pages, or will requesting
an image file renew the session?

We have an app for warehouse order entry, and some of the orders can be very
long. So we want to put something on the order entry page to renew the
session and keep the user from losing their work. Originally i was thinking
a small iframe which would be hidden and just request some empty page every
5 minutes. If an image request will renew the session though, then i can
simply have an image tag with some javascript to rotate the src attribute.

Will that work, or do i need to actually run code of some sort against the
server?

Thanks in advance,

- ArthurDent

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

A Traveler said:
Hello,

Given that a particular iis server has its session timeout set to the
default of 20mins, what will renew the request in order to prevent it
timing out? Is it only code-type things, such as ASP[X] pages, or will
requesting an image file renew the session?

We have an app for warehouse order entry, and some of the orders can be
very long. So we want to put something on the order entry page to renew
the session and keep the user from losing their work. Originally i was
thinking a small iframe which would be hidden and just request some empty
page every 5 minutes. If an image request will renew the session though,
then i can simply have an image tag with some javascript to rotate the src
attribute.

Will that work, or do i need to actually run code of some sort against the
server?

You need to request an ASP to renew the session.

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

George Hester

I have the same situation but it is not as mission critical as the OPs. After reading these posts I got to thinking. We can use a Response.BinaryWrite in a ASP. This bmp can be as small as 1px. Then in the ASP that we are using for the application we could JavaScript a call to it periodically. The src attributes width and height we could set to 0. That would replenish the Session and put actually nothing in the ASP that calls it. Probably a better way but just an idea.

--
George Hester