    thanks

    Tim

    , Feb 26, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > What is everyone using as a report writer for J2EE enterprise
    > solutions? Are there any open source solutions in the works that
    > provide GUI driven layout and text or postscript output?
    >
    > Obviously Crystal reports has a large market share for Windows based
    > reporting but I would prefer a solution that also runs on UNIX.
    >
    > I have used XSLT to transform XML but generating XML is slow, and
    > determining positions and debugging XSLT is painful.

    I am not sure what are you really thinking when saying "report writer".
    If you're looking for a possibility of generating different output
    formats from Java take a look at Apache's FOP [1], but it's based on XML
    and XSLT (because of XSL-FO). And no GUI editor is available, you just
    have to prepare your document in XML.

    If you don't like digging in XMLs you can try iText [2], which is really
    simple in use [3] and generates PDFs . But also - there is no graphical
    tool to assist you in building the report layout: you have to do it on
    your own.

    [1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/
    [2] http://www.lowagie.com/iText/
    [3] http://itextdocs.lowagie.com/tutorial/general/index.html#5steps