report writing

timasmith

Hi,

What is everyone using as a report writer for J2EE enterprise
solutions? Are there any open source solutions in the works that
provide GUI driven layout and text or postscript output?

Obviously Crystal reports has a large market share for Windows based
reporting but I would prefer a solution that also runs on UNIX.

I have used XSLT to transform XML but generating XML is slow, and
determining positions and debugging XSLT is painful.

What to do?

thanks

Tim

Michal Glomba

What is everyone using as a report writer for J2EE enterprise
solutions? Are there any open source solutions in the works that
provide GUI driven layout and text or postscript output?

Obviously Crystal reports has a large market share for Windows based
reporting but I would prefer a solution that also runs on UNIX.

I have used XSLT to transform XML but generating XML is slow, and
determining positions and debugging XSLT is painful.

I am not sure what are you really thinking when saying "report writer".
If you're looking for a possibility of generating different output
formats from Java take a look at Apache's FOP [1], but it's based on XML
and XSLT (because of XSL-FO). And no GUI editor is available, you just
have to prepare your document in XML.

If you don't like digging in XMLs you can try iText [2], which is really
simple in use [3] and generates PDFs . But also - there is no graphical
tool to assist you in building the report layout: you have to do it on
your own.

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/
[2] http://www.lowagie.com/iText/
[3] http://itextdocs.lowagie.com/tutorial/general/index.html#5steps