REPOST: Webservices in VB.Net using sockets

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Martin Dobson, Oct 4, 2004.

  1. I've re-posted this because nobody has bothered to help me. I thought if I
    came to a microsoft newsgroup so guru would be able to point me in the right
    direction! Please why will no one help me, what's wrong with my description
    of the problem? Is it to much or to little?

    Please help!

    Original message 29/09/2004 08:08 AM PST
    ------------------------------
    Hi,

    I try and be brief... I am trying to develop a web service that will act as
    a middle-tier between a client (console, browser, win32 app) and a server
    (Unix). This service will receive data from the client and pass it to the
    server and then wait for a response from the server. Can anyone help me with
    where I start or some good books to look at?

    I have built something similar to this before using an asp component before
    ..Net was released, however it did not work as a middle-tier service. So far
    all my efforts to understand how to implement this in a web service have
    failed and I can't find any good articles on the web that deal with this
    particular topic and vb.net.

    Any help would be appreciated!

    Thanks in advance.
    --
    Martin Dobson
    IS Development Engineer

    Martin Dobson, Oct 4, 2004

  2. Martin Dobson

    Selva Guest

    Hi,
    Are you trying to create a middle tier service(web service) thru which your client app can manipulate data with unix server?.
    There are so many articles available for web services.Tell me if you are looking for any particular topic or your requirement then i can try to help you. I have written few webservices as part of my project deliverable.
    thanks
    selva
    >I've re-posted this because nobody has bothered to help me. I thought if I
    > came to a microsoft newsgroup so guru would be able to point me in the right
    > direction! Please why will no one help me, what's wrong with my description
    > of the problem? Is it to much or to little?
    >
    > Please help!
    >
    > Original message 29/09/2004 08:08 AM PST
    > ------------------------------
    > Hi,
    >
    > I try and be brief... I am trying to develop a web service that will act as
    > a middle-tier between a client (console, browser, win32 app) and a server
    > (Unix). This service will receive data from the client and pass it to the
    > server and then wait for a response from the server. Can anyone help me with
    > where I start or some good books to look at?
    >
    > I have built something similar to this before using an asp component before
    > .Net was released, however it did not work as a middle-tier service. So far
    > all my efforts to understand how to implement this in a web service have
    > failed and I can't find any good articles on the web that deal with this
    > particular topic and vb.net.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > --
    > Martin Dobson
    > IS Development Engineer
    > Morecambe Bay Hospital NHS Trust, UK

    ___
    Newsgroups brought to you courtesy of www.dotnetjohn.com

    Selva, Oct 4, 2004

  3. Thanks for your reply! finally someone!

    Basically I understand the basics of web services how to pass data to and
    from it like a string for example, but now i want 2 incorporate a socket call
    to a UNIX server (the OS isn't important, I connect to a IAC on there via tcp
    socket and wait for it to respond) and return data from it to the webservice
    and finally to the client calling the webservice. I'm using VB.Net to build
    it as a ASP.Net Web Service in VS.Net 2003 EA.

    Is this enough information, or do you need more detailed information about
    my connection to the UNIX server?

    Thanks

    Martin Dobson, Oct 4, 2004
  4. sounds like this is only tangentially related to webservices. You
    understand the webservices piece, but need help with the socket comms?

    There are samples in the .NET SDK showing how to do socket comms. Also you
    can google for
    System.Net.IPEndPoint:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&num=30&q=system.net.ipendpoint

    Note: Be careful with delays and threads in your service.

    -D

    Dino Chiesa [Microsoft], Oct 11, 2004