Req.for Advice: Learning Perl

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by darren_uk, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. darren_uk

    darren_uk Guest

    Request for Advice on Learning Perl.

    I need to come up to speed with Perl quickly.

    I own "Learning Perl" but find that I personally am better at looking at
    simple (and not so simple) examples, and probably moving onto more complex
    examples.

    For example, browsing some of the "How2" postings in this newsgroup and
    trying to understand the answers seems to steepen the learning curve for me
    - possibly this is because I'm a problem solver by nature and have 15 years
    of support experience so running through someone else's code and figuring
    out what it does is just the way I work best.

    Based on the above, can anyone offer any suggestions on the best way I can
    learn Perl, I'm due to begin a project in about a week's time and I'm
    encouraged to gain as much Perl insight as I can, with a view to not only
    understanding existing Perl script on site, but also to eventually develop
    my own.

    Of course, I will also continue with Programming Perl throughout the
    projects, getting better and better with each passing week, but I need
    enough to give me the tools to be able to tackle the Perl scripts from day
    one.

    Many thanks for your help.

    darren_uk, Feb 6, 2004

  2. darren_uk

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    darren_uk <> wrote in

    > I need to come up to speed with Perl quickly.
    >
    > I own "Learning Perl" but find that I personally am better at looking
    > at simple (and not so simple) examples, and probably moving onto more
    > complex examples.
    >
    > For example, browsing some of the "How2" postings in this newsgroup
    > and trying to understand the answers seems to steepen the learning
    > curve for me - possibly this is because I'm a problem solver by nature
    > and have 15 years of support experience so running through someone
    > else's code and figuring out what it does is just the way I work best.

    Sounds like _The Perl Cookbook_ is just the thing for you.

    Eric Bohlman, Feb 6, 2004

  3. darren_uk

    darren_uk Guest

    Eric Bohlman wrote:

    > darren_uk <> wrote in
    >
    >> I need to come up to speed with Perl quickly.
    >>
    >> I own "Learning Perl" but find that I personally am better at looking
    >> at simple (and not so simple) examples, and probably moving onto more
    >> complex examples.
    >>
    >> For example, browsing some of the "How2" postings in this newsgroup
    >> and trying to understand the answers seems to steepen the learning
    >> curve for me - possibly this is because I'm a problem solver by nature
    >> and have 15 years of support experience so running through someone
    >> else's code and figuring out what it does is just the way I work best.

    > Sounds like _The Perl Cookbook_ is just the thing for you.

    :-D

    As soon as you mentioned that book, I thought, "I'm sure I've got that
    somewhere". Sure enough, after much digging through archive boxes, I came
    across a box with a bunch of computer books, including "Perl Cookbook" (and
    found my "Perl5 Pocket Reference" too).

    darren_uk, Feb 7, 2004
  4. darren_uk

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    darren_uk <> wrote in

    > As soon as you mentioned that book, I thought, "I'm sure I've got that
    > somewhere". Sure enough, after much digging through archive boxes, I
    > came across a box with a bunch of computer books, including "Perl
    > Cookbook" (and found my "Perl5 Pocket Reference" too).

    Keep in mind that there's a second edition which was published in the last
    year or so, and significantly expanded; the first edition is nearly 6 years
    old. Nonetheless, the first edition should serve you well in the short-
    term; just get the new one when you need to expand your horizons even
    further.

    Eric Bohlman, Feb 7, 2004
  5. darren_uk

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Eric Bohlman <> wrote:
    > darren_uk <> wrote in
    >
    > > As soon as you mentioned that book, I thought, "I'm sure I've got that
    > > somewhere". Sure enough, after much digging through archive boxes, I
    > > came across a box with a bunch of computer books, including "Perl
    > > Cookbook" (and found my "Perl5 Pocket Reference" too).

    > Keep in mind that there's a second edition which was published in the last
    > year or so, and significantly expanded; the first edition is nearly 6 years
    > old. Nonetheless, the first edition should serve you well in the short-
    > term; just get the new one when you need to expand your horizons even
    > further.

    Also keep in mind 'Perl Recipe of the Day' on perl.com :)

    Ben

    --
    EAT
    KIDS (...er, whoops...)

    Ben Morrow, Feb 7, 2004
  6. >>>>> "darren" == darren uk <> writes:

    darren> I own "Learning Perl" but find that I personally am better at looking at
    darren> simple (and not so simple) examples, and probably moving onto more complex
    darren> examples.

    If you want lots and lots of examples (188 at last count),
    check out my columns at

    http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/
    http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/
    http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/UnixReview/
    http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/PerlJournal/

    The knowledge level varies.... the UnixReview series is probably the
    easiest sequence because I don't have as much space to say things
    there.

    print "Just another guy who has had his name in print over 20 million times",

    Randal L. Schwartz, Feb 9, 2004