request for help with CGI form

Discussion in 'Perl' started by R. Westermeyer, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. Hi,
    I hope this isn't poor etiquette, but I have a public service
    addiction website, habitsmart.com, and back in 95, a fellow from Bell
    Atlantic helped me put together a self-scoring alcohol checklist using
    CGI. The form is filled out, then the CGI script scores it.

    The form has been linked by thousands, and though I don't draw a cent
    from the site, I want to keep it going, because I think it's useful to
    people.

    Anyway, recently I switched servers from CTS.net to Earthlink. I
    uploaded the html file, chkup.html to the new space and it opens fine.
    I also moved the cgi files, "chkup.cgi" and "formlib.pl" to the new
    cgi folder, and when a user fills out the form and clicks for it to
    score, he gets " page cannot be found".

    Earthlink doesn't provide CGI script, and it's a different language to
    me, I'm just a psychologist. though I have tried to edit the script
    on copies, but don't want to mess with it too much, not knowing what
    the hell I'm doing.

    If anyone would be willing to give me some guidance, I'd me most
    appreciative.

    Thanks,

    Robert
    R. Westermeyer, Sep 23, 2003

  2. R. Westermeyer

    Bfons Guest

    Anyway, recently I switched servers from CTS.net to Earthlink. I
    > uploaded the html file, chkup.html to the new space and it opens fine.
    > I also moved the cgi files, "chkup.cgi" and "formlib.pl" to the new
    > cgi folder, and when a user fills out the form and clicks for it to
    > score, he gets " page cannot be found".
    >
    > Earthlink doesn't provide CGI script, and it's a different language to
    > me, I'm just a psychologist. though I have tried to edit the script
    > on copies, but don't want to mess with it too much, not knowing what
    > the hell I'm doing.

    It sounds like the path to the .cgi script is bad. In the chkup.html file,
    look for the line:
    <form method=post action="/cgi-bin/chkup.cgi"> Or something like that.

    You may have to modify the path to the cgi script.

    Bfons
    Bfons, Sep 23, 2003

  3. On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:49:33 GMT, "Bfons" <>
    wrote:

    > Anyway, recently I switched servers from CTS.net to Earthlink. I
    >> uploaded the html file, chkup.html to the new space and it opens fine.
    >> I also moved the cgi files, "chkup.cgi" and "formlib.pl" to the new
    >> cgi folder, and when a user fills out the form and clicks for it to
    >> score, he gets " page cannot be found".
    >>
    >> Earthlink doesn't provide CGI script, and it's a different language to
    >> me, I'm just a psychologist. though I have tried to edit the script
    >> on copies, but don't want to mess with it too much, not knowing what
    >> the hell I'm doing.

    >It sounds like the path to the .cgi script is bad. In the chkup.html file,
    >look for the line:
    ><form method=post action="/cgi-bin/chkup.cgi"> Or something like that.
    >
    >You may have to modify the path to the cgi script.
    >
    >Bfons

    I really appreciate the help. Damn, though, it still doesn't work.

    Know of any reasonable online services for help with such repairs?

    Thanks,

    Robert
    *******
    I'm sorry, baby, I can't give you my love
    My heart's as hollow as an empty glove
    --Lux Interior
    R. Westermeyer, Oct 1, 2003
  4. R. Westermeyer

    Bfons Guest

    "R. Westermeyer" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:49:33 GMT, "Bfons" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Anyway, recently I switched servers from CTS.net to Earthlink. I
    > >> uploaded the html file, chkup.html to the new space and it opens fine.
    > >> I also moved the cgi files, "chkup.cgi" and "formlib.pl" to the new
    > >> cgi folder, and when a user fills out the form and clicks for it to
    > >> score, he gets " page cannot be found".
    > >>
    > >> Earthlink doesn't provide CGI script, and it's a different language to
    > >> me, I'm just a psychologist. though I have tried to edit the script
    > >> on copies, but don't want to mess with it too much, not knowing what
    > >> the hell I'm doing.

    > >It sounds like the path to the .cgi script is bad. In the chkup.html

    file,
    > >look for the line:
    > ><form method=post action="/cgi-bin/chkup.cgi"> Or something like that.
    > >
    > >You may have to modify the path to the cgi script.
    > >
    > >Bfons
    > >

    > I really appreciate the help. Damn, though, it still doesn't work.
    >
    > Know of any reasonable online services for help with such repairs?

    Shoot me an email and I will try to give you a hand.

    Brian
    Bfons, Oct 7, 2003
  5. On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 18:44:37 GMT, "Bfons" <>
    wrote:

    >"R. Westermeyer" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:49:33 GMT, "Bfons" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Anyway, recently I switched servers from CTS.net to Earthlink. I

    >> >It sounds like the path to the .cgi script is bad. In the chkup.html

    >file,
    >> >look for the line:
    >> ><form method=post action="/cgi-bin/chkup.cgi"> Or something like that.
    >> >
    >> >You may have to modify the path to the cgi script.
    >> >
    >> >Bfons
    >> >

    >> I really appreciate the help. Damn, though, it still doesn't work.
    >>
    >> Know of any reasonable online services for help with such repairs?
    >>

    >Shoot me an email and I will try to give you a hand.
    >
    >Brian

    Sorry for the delay, Brian. I really appreciate your offer to lend a
    hand. Was away from computer for several weeks.

    I tried to send you an email () this morning,
    but it bounced back. I'd really appreciate it if you would email me an
    addy for correspondence.

    Thanks,

    Robert
    R. Westermeyer, Oct 17, 2003