requiredfieldvalidator driving me nuts!!

Pat

i have some checkboxes ,dropdownlist and radio button on a page...
When the user get to the radio button its has a question and a user must
select YES or NO
If Yes then a Textbox appears and the submit button appears too and i have a
validation on it and it must be filled.
If No it just shows a text with the submit button and text saying blah
blah ..
My problem is this when the USER anwers No and the text appears with No
Textbox visible and i press the submit button it
shows the ErrorMessage of the "requiredValidator of the textbox" (but the
user isn't seeing the textbox since i have set it to visible="FALSE"

But on my other machine it works fine..
One thing again is that on my machine that works fine i don't have
Page.IsValid set.

Sometimes i noticed that the validators work without setting Page.IsValid
and sometimes you have to set it to work..
Any ideas..

Mark

Just an idea, are you using smart navigation on your page?? I know sometimes
the smart navigation feature causes havoc with the .NET validators

Adam Knight

I hope i have understood your question correctly.

This may be simplistic, but if by pressing no, no validation needs to occur
I can see two options.

1) myRequiredFieldValidator.Enabled = False
2) mySubitButton.CausesValidation = False

I hope i am not to far off?

Adam

Pat

Adma thx for the hint i also tried that before but i get Error:-

Page.IsValid cannot be called before validation has taken place. It should
be queried in the event handler for a control with CausesValidation=True or
after a call to Page.Validate.