Resolving import errors reported by PyLint in modules using Python.NET

A

adam.preble

PyLint can't figure out imports of .NET code being referenced in my Python scripts that use Python.NET. I can kind of see why; you have to evaluate some clr.AddReference calls for the imports to even succeed. I wonder if I have any recourse. Generally, to import a DLL you have to do a few things.I guess for an example I'll import a .NET string:

----
import clr # Python .NET common-language runtime module, the important part of it all

clr.AddReference("System")
from System import String # .NET System.String

can = String("Spam")
----

PyLint is not amused:
F: 4, 0: Unable to import 'System' (import-error)

I wondered if there were any tricks to make it work. I don't want to just ignore import-error, either by explicitly telling pylint to ignore them, orbe getting complacent in seeing them all the time. I am also kind of curious if PyLint will expose new problems if it's able to figure out more things after successfully passing the imports. I wouldn't really know.

B

Benjamin Kaplan

PyLint can't figure out imports of .NET code being referenced in my Python scripts that use Python.NET. I can kind of see why; you have to evaluatesome clr.AddReference calls for the imports to even succeed. I wonder if I have any recourse. Generally, to import a DLL you have to do a few things. I guess for an example I'll import a .NET string:

----
import clr # Python .NET common-language runtime module, the importantpart of it all

clr.AddReference("System")
from System import String # .NET System.String

can = String("Spam")
----

PyLint is not amused:
F: 4, 0: Unable to import 'System' (import-error)

I wondered if there were any tricks to make it work. I don't want to just ignore import-error, either by explicitly telling pylint to ignore them, or be getting complacent in seeing them all the time. I am also kind of curious if PyLint will expose new problems if it's able to figure out more things after successfully passing the imports. I wouldn't really know.

Are you using Python.NET or IronPython? IronPython is reasonably well
supported, and it looks like there's a patch you can use to get PyLint
working on it (see
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/ironpython-users/2012-June/016099.html
). Not sure what's going on with Python.NET

A

adam.preble

I thought I responded to this. Oh well <shrugs>

Are you using Python.NET or IronPython? IronPython is reasonably well

supported, and it looks like there's a patch you can use to get PyLint

working on it (see

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/ironpython-users/2012-June/016099.html

). Not sure what's going on with Python.NET

Definitely Python.NET in this case. It looks like that issue is different than what I get. PyLint just gets import errors when trying to import the modules, which it just reports with everything else I've done wrong.

Ask a Question