    Can anyone point me in the correct direction I would appreciate it very
    much.

    //Micke
    Mussemouse, May 12, 2008

  2. Mussemouse wrote:
    > Hi all.
    > Sorry for asking this but I try to figure out and learn about local
    > webpages.
    > What I would like to have is a autorun file that shows a web page as soon as
    > a USB drive is inserted. That I made using shellexe.exe ( Just to be run on
    > Windows computers )
    > No problem with that.
    > The problem is that when the user clicks on the restart button in the web
    > page I would like to execute the program shutdown.exe to restart the
    > computer... But I can't figure out how to make this happen?
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the correct direction I would appreciate it very
    > much.

    Wow, you you really want a web page to do that! Not the role of of HTML,
    try building a application! If this is a software installer there are
    many out there with reboot after install options...Inno Setup (free)
    comes to mind.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, May 12, 2008

  3. Mussemouse

    Mussemouse Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Mussemouse wrote:
    >> Hi all.
    >> Sorry for asking this but I try to figure out and learn about local
    >> webpages.
    >> What I would like to have is a autorun file that shows a web page as soon
    >> as a USB drive is inserted. That I made using shellexe.exe ( Just to be
    >> run on Windows computers )
    >> No problem with that.
    >> The problem is that when the user clicks on the restart button in the web
    >> page I would like to execute the program shutdown.exe to restart the
    >> computer... But I can't figure out how to make this happen?
    >>
    >> Can anyone point me in the correct direction I would appreciate it very
    >> much.

    > Wow, you you really want a web page to do that! Not the role of of HTML,
    > try building a application! If this is a software installer there are
    > many out there with reboot after install options...Inno Setup (free)
    > comes to mind.

    Well it works. Kind of. If I place the shutdown.exe in the root of the USB
    drive and call it with a simple <A href="shutdown.exe"> Sometext </a> It
    only wants to download it. Not execute it.
    Is there a simple easy way to get this working? I don't have nay purpose
    with it really but I want to know. If I run a java script, ( Some one wrote
    it a long time ago ) then I can do this but I can't find this script
    anymore. And since all programming I can do is a little assembler and C it
    is of no use in this case.
    //Micke
    Mussemouse, May 12, 2008
  4. Mussemouse wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> Mussemouse wrote:
    >>> Hi all.
    >>> Sorry for asking this but I try to figure out and learn about local
    >>> webpages.
    >>> What I would like to have is a autorun file that shows a web page as soon
    >>> as a USB drive is inserted. That I made using shellexe.exe ( Just to be
    >>> run on Windows computers )
    >>> No problem with that.
    >>> The problem is that when the user clicks on the restart button in the web
    >>> page I would like to execute the program shutdown.exe to restart the
    >>> computer... But I can't figure out how to make this happen?
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone point me in the correct direction I would appreciate it very
    >>> much.

    >> Wow, you you really want a web page to do that! Not the role of of HTML,
    >> try building a application! If this is a software installer there are
    >> many out there with reboot after install options...Inno Setup (free)
    >> comes to mind.
    >>

    > Well it works. Kind of. If I place the shutdown.exe in the root of the USB
    > drive and call it with a simple <A href="shutdown.exe"> Sometext </a> It
    > only wants to download it. Not execute it.

    It's called security. It was the major security flaw of IE to allow
    executables to run automatically from a webpage link. With my default
    browser SeaMonkey I will only have download as an option, as it should be.

    > Is there a simple easy way to get this working? I don't have nay purpose
    > with it really but I want to know. If I run a java script, ( Some one wrote
    > it a long time ago ) then I can do this but I can't find this script
    > anymore. And since all programming I can do is a little assembler and C it
    > is of no use in this case.

    You need an installer, not a webpage. Did you look up Inno Setup? Has an
    IDE to lead you by the nose thorough the process...

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Inno Setup&btnG=Google Search
    Inno Setup - Google Search

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, May 12, 2008
  5. Mussemouse

    Mussemouse Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Inno Setup&btnG=Google Search

    Thanks I check this out.
    Naturally it should not run as in IE it is as you say a security issue.
    Seamonkey/Firefox only allows downloading as an option witch is as it
    should be.
    I know that IE have the choice to run the program and that is one thing I
    want to test :)
    //Micke
    Mussemouse, May 13, 2008
  6. Mussemouse

    Mussemouse Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > You need an installer, not a webpage. Did you look up Inno Setup? Has an
    > IDE to lead you by the nose thorough the process...
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Inno Setup&btnG=Google Search
    > Inno Setup - Google Search

    To bad that it doesn't do what I want. I don't want to install anything on
    the computer. Only restart it.
    Should be possible from autorun with 'shellexec shutdown /r'
    ( Before I found out this /r I was almost crazy I wanted it to be -r but MS
    is MS I guess )
    But how to get a browser do that?? :D Well I have to keep on finding a
    solution for it.

    //Micke
    Mussemouse, May 14, 2008
  7. Mussemouse wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> You need an installer, not a webpage. Did you look up Inno Setup? Has an
    >> IDE to lead you by the nose thorough the process...
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Inno Setup&btnG=Google Search
    >> Inno Setup - Google Search
    >>

    > To bad that it doesn't do what I want. I don't want to install anything on
    > the computer. Only restart it.

    Why? Why would anyone what a webpage to restart their computer? Now with
    a software install *for Windows* it is often required...but if you are
    not installing anything, then why?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, May 14, 2008
  8. Mussemouse

    Mussemouse Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> To bad that it doesn't do what I want. I don't want to install anything
    >> on the computer. Only restart it.

    > Why? Why would anyone what a webpage to restart their computer? Now with
    > a software install *for Windows* it is often required...but if you are
    > not installing anything, then why?

    I don't want a web page to do this. I want a local web page on a USB drive
    to do this. Plug in the USB drive, Autorun ( almost at least ) so a web
    page shows up. On this web page click on a link that points to a program on
    the USB drive to restart the computer.
    A very simple task. But as it seems almost impossible.
    If I can from a Script eject the CD-Drive, Change the graphics. and so on
    why is it so impossible to restart the computer?
    I can do it from a remote server/workstation. But not from a local USB
    Drive? Why is it so?

    I am just curios nothing else. :D No reason to do it only want to do it. If
    there has to be a reason for every action we take there wouldn't be much
    done!

    //Micke
    Mussemouse, May 15, 2008
  9. Mussemouse wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >>> To bad that it doesn't do what I want. I don't want to install anything
    >>> on the computer. Only restart it.

    >> Why? Why would anyone what a webpage to restart their computer? Now with
    >> a software install *for Windows* it is often required...but if you are
    >> not installing anything, then why?
    >>

    > I don't want a web page to do this. I want a local web page on a USB drive
    > to do this. Plug in the USB drive, Autorun ( almost at least ) so a web
    > page shows up. On this web page click on a link that points to a program on
    > the USB drive to restart the computer.

    Wrong tool. If you want something to restart your computer, create an
    application. If you want to display information, structured, formatted
    and have ir have the ability to link to other documents then use HTML.
    Having HTML do things to your local system is a security risk. Where
    have you been with all the press about drive-by installed malware and IE?

    > A very simple task. But as it seems almost impossible.

    For an application, but not for HTML.

    > If I can from a Script eject the CD-Drive, Change the graphics. and so on
    > why is it so impossible to restart the computer?

    From an HTML document? I don't think so, not without ActiveX + IE and a
    parade of warning dialog boxes...

    > I can do it from a remote server/workstation. But not from a local USB
    > Drive? Why is it so?

    Repeat from above...USB drives are IT security headache as it is!

    > I am just curios nothing else. :D No reason to do it only want to do it. If
    > there has to be a reason for every action we take there wouldn't be much
    > done!

    Because if you could do it with an HTML document on a USB drive then it
    could also be done from a webpage hosted from ANYWHERE. Having a system
    from ANYWHERE make changes to YOUR system without your control is a "bad
    thing" in most people's opinion.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, May 15, 2008
  10. Mussemouse

    Mussemouse Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Wrong tool. If you want something to restart your computer, create an
    > application. If you want to display information, structured, formatted
    > and have ir have the ability to link to other documents then use HTML.
    > Having HTML do things to your local system is a security risk. Where
    > have you been with all the press about drive-by installed malware and IE?

    That is the point! No installation. To get people to use the System I have
    on the USB drive I need to reboot the computer. Most people are of some
    reason so used to that the computer do the work for them that they can't
    even read a simple instruction telling them to insert the USB drive and
    then reboot the computer!

    >> A very simple task. But as it seems almost impossible.

    > For an application, but not for HTML.
    >
    >> If I can from a Script eject the CD-Drive, Change the graphics. and so on
    >> why is it so impossible to restart the computer?

    > From an HTML document? I don't think so, not without ActiveX + IE and a
    > parade of warning dialog boxes...
    >
    >> I can do it from a remote server/workstation. But not from a local USB
    >> Drive? Why is it so?

    > Repeat from above...USB drives are IT security headache as it is!
    >

    >> I am just curios nothing else. :D No reason to do it only want to do it.
    >> If there has to be a reason for every action we take there wouldn't be
    >> much done!

    > Because if you could do it with an HTML document on a USB drive then it
    > could also be done from a webpage hosted from ANYWHERE. Having a system
    > from ANYWHERE make changes to YOUR system without your control is a "bad
    > thing" in most people's opinion.

    Naturally it is a bad thing. :)

    //Micke
    Mussemouse, May 15, 2008
  11. Mussemouse wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> Wrong tool. If you want something to restart your computer, create an
    >> application. If you want to display information, structured, formatted
    >> and have ir have the ability to link to other documents then use HTML.
    >> Having HTML do things to your local system is a security risk. Where
    >> have you been with all the press about drive-by installed malware and IE?
    >>

    > That is the point! No installation. To get people to use the System I have
    > on the USB drive I need to reboot the computer. Most people are of some
    > reason so used to that the computer do the work for them that they can't
    > even read a simple instruction telling them to insert the USB drive and
    > then reboot the computer!

    The USB has a bootable OS? That is another issue. Still you are not
    going to get an HTML document to do this. Autorun that starts either an
    application or a batch file. Of course the computer's bios have to be
    set to allow boot from USB. You have more problem then just getting
    someone to press the reset button. And before you ask, no you cannot
    change a computer's bios with an html document for the same security
    reasons.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, May 15, 2008
  12. Mussemouse

    Mussemouse Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Mussemouse wrote:
    >> Hi all.
    >> Sorry for asking this but I try to figure out and learn about local
    >> webpages.
    >> What I would like to have is a autorun file that shows a web page as soon
    >> as a USB drive is inserted. That I made using shellexe.exe ( Just to be
    >> run on Windows computers )
    >> No problem with that.
    >> The problem is that when the user clicks on the restart button in the web
    >> page I would like to execute the program shutdown.exe to restart the
    >> computer... But I can't figure out how to make this happen?
    >>
    >> Can anyone point me in the correct direction I would appreciate it very
    >> much.
    >>
    >> //Micke
    >>

    > Well, the first issue is getting autorun to work on a USB memory drive.
    > MS says Windows does NOT support either booting from or autorun from a
    > memory drive.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/usbfaq.mspx
    >
    > However, I found a utility that does support this:
    >
    > http://www.archidune.com/index.php?id=4
    >
    > I've tested it and it works.
    >
    > The second issue, as others have indicated, is:
    >
    > Should an HTML page be allowed to run an executable? No. Will most
    > browsers allow this? No. You could use Active-X but that would require
    > Internet Explorer AND require that IE's security configuration be set up
    > to allow execution.
    >
    > Further, even if IE is setup you will likely still present the user with
    > numerous (and possibly cryptic) security messages from IE. Not
    > user-friendly.
    >
    > Finally, this all begs the questions:
    >
    > - Why do you want to do this?
    > - What are you trying to achieve?
    > - How are you getting your files onto a USB drive and in the hands of a
    > user?
    > - Why reboot? The USB memory drive should autorun (using the APO USB
    > Autorun utility at the above link) when it is inserted into the computer.
    >
    > If you can be more specific in what you're trying to accomplish, and
    > why, that would be really helpful.

    Why I want to do this is simple.
    Most people don't read a paper that instructs them how to do things.
    When it shows on the monitor they do as they are told. Restart the computer
    leave the USB drive in place and insert a bootable cd in the cd drive. If
    the computer do not start from USB then in most cases it boots from the cd.

    What I am trying to do is to get users that are not used to running anything
    else than MS Windos to start up a USB drive with a system on it. A special
    written system. As I have said I can write applications in assembler and C
    but I do not know anything about HTML and Visual this or that.

    So to get the user to do something that for most people are very simple is
    sometimes very difficult. Like if the USB drive does not boot then insert a
    cd. Boot from the cd. Well, this seems to be very difficult. So I was
    thinking that if I show them a web page that tells them to insert the cd
    then restart the computer it would be simple.
    But it seems that even this simple task is to difficult for some. So a
    button that tells them to click on it, the Windos style, and reboots the
    computer would be a solution.
    Well I have to figure out something else.
    Thanks for all tip and all responses.

    The system I am trying to get people to use is for a pure security issue.
    Sitting alone and trying to figure out something that would be simple is not
    always easy :D

    //Micke
    Mussemouse, May 15, 2008
  13. Mussemouse

    Mussemouse Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Mussemouse wrote:
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wrong tool. If you want something to restart your computer, create an
    >>> application. If you want to display information, structured, formatted
    >>> and have ir have the ability to link to other documents then use HTML.
    >>> Having HTML do things to your local system is a security risk. Where
    >>> have you been with all the press about drive-by installed malware and
    >>> IE?
    >>>

    >> That is the point! No installation. To get people to use the System I
    >> have on the USB drive I need to reboot the computer. Most people are of
    >> some reason so used to that the computer do the work for them that they
    >> can't even read a simple instruction telling them to insert the USB drive
    >> and then reboot the computer!

    > The USB has a bootable OS? That is another issue. Still you are not
    > going to get an HTML document to do this. Autorun that starts either an
    > application or a batch file. Of course the computer's bios have to be
    > set to allow boot from USB. You have more problem then just getting
    > someone to press the reset button. And before you ask, no you cannot
    > change a computer's bios with an html document for the same security
    > reasons.

    If I could in an easy way change the BIOS of the computer that would save me
    a lot of headache but it's impossible since the addresses are not the same
    in all BIOS's. This is close to impossible without a very advanced program
    that can search for the BIOS id string and a database with all the
    different values for different manufacturer of the BIOS.

    But I think I go for only showing the info on how to do in the HTML document
    and then hope that the users are capable of finding the restart function by
    them selves in their system.
    Thanks for all your replies. They have brought me new knowledge on what is
    possible with HTML and what is not.

    Cheers!
    //Micke
    Mussemouse, May 15, 2008
  14. Mussemouse

    +mrcakey Guest

    "Mussemouse" <> wrote in message
    > Ed Mullen wrote:

    <snip>

    But WHY HTML?!!!! If you're computer literate enough to write your own OS
    (!!!!) then you can find other solutions to the problem.

    +mrcakey
    +mrcakey, May 16, 2008