RESTful API for own python application

Discussion in 'Python' started by Julio F Schwarzbeck, Feb 2, 2013.

  1. Howdy folks, I have a couple of questions that imo requires some
    feedback by the smarts, I'd appreciate any comments you can add to this
    issue, here's my situation:

    I am developing an application, the application stores small text
    snippets (think of something similar to evernote), and it has the
    standard CRUD operations of any other application.

    Now my question is, how much would you recommend creating the entire
    CRUD operations as a REST API even for my own program, I plan to have a
    "thin" web client UI to make these operations, but I am thinking about
    creating another client for ubuntu and its phone, for instance, and
    possibly connections from other clients.

    Under the scenario above, I think it makes sense, but what about other
    applications that I have created in which the the back-end does not talk
    to anyone except the actual app and may or may not expose resources
    externally, would it make sense to 'standardize' in my CRUD operations
    for all my existing applications (forum system, q/a web app, ticketing
    system, and several others).

    Thanks in advance from your responses.

    JulioS
    Julio F Schwarzbeck, Feb 2, 2013