Retrieve and calculate values from XML file

Discussion in 'XML' started by shalit.dror@gmail.com, Feb 2, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I have an XML files that contains grades in different subjects from
    year 2005  2007 .
    In the HTML file I have several drop down list that contain all the
    names of the subjects. If I select for example history from the first
    one , I get the grade for 2005 in the first field, then the grade for
    2006 in the field next to it and the grade for 2007 in the third
    field.
    Then I go to the second drop down list , select another subject name
    and get all related grades in the proper fields.
    So I have a page with approximately ten drop down list.

    Now I have some fields in addition that presents calculated average.
    For example , One is an average of all the subjects per specific year
    and the other is an average of specific subject to years
    2005-2007.These fields are changing dynamically as soon as I select a
    value from the drop down list and related grades are being retrieved
    from the xml file. How can I achieve this ?

    this is a short example of the xml file. The real file contains about
    10 subjects.
    <summary>
    <subject>
    <name>history</name>
    <grade in 2005>85</grade in 2005>
    <grade in 2006>72</grade in 2006>
    <grade in 2007>67</grade in 2007>
    </subject>
    <subject>
    <name>chemistry</name>
    <grade in 2005>75</grade in 2005>
    <grade in 2006>62</grade in 2006>
    <grade in 2007>97</grade in 2007>
    </subject>
    </summary>

    , Feb 2, 2008

  2. Pavel Lepin Guest

    <> wrote in
    <>:
    > I have an XML files that contains grades in different
    > subjects from year 2005  2007 .
    > In the HTML file I have several drop down list that
    > contain all the names of the subjects. If I select for
    > example history from the first
    > one , I get the grade for 2005 in the first field, then
    > the grade for 2006 in the field next to it and the grade
    > for 2007 in the third field.
    > Then I go to the second drop down list , select another
    > subject name and get all related grades in the proper
    > fields. So I have a page with approximately ten drop down
    > list.
    >
    > Now I have some fields in addition that presents
    > calculated average.
    > For example , One is an average of all the subjects per
    > specific year and the other is an average of specific
    > subject to years 2005-2007.These fields are changing
    > dynamically as soon as I select a value from the drop down
    > list and related grades are being retrieved from the xml
    > file. How can I achieve this ?

    You forgot to mention whether you're using server-side or
    client-side processing, the platform you use for
    development, and which API or set of APIs is of interest to
    you.

    If you're processing client-side, it's likely that the
    appropriate place for this question would be
    comp.lang.javascript; otherwise, the group for you language
    of choice would be a better option.

    --
    <>There is no phenotype</>

    Pavel Lepin, Feb 4, 2008