return from ASP.NET to ASP

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by nakhi, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. nakhi

    nakhi Guest

    Hi,
    I updated to aspx last three month,after developing serveral
    applications,Idecided to downgraded to asp, following is my reasons:
    1.in ASPX,the page format is hard to control,in ASP u can change every html
    as u like ,but in aspx, a aspx control decide the page format,and its hard
    to change the format.

    2.ASPX is said to be faster that asp, but it is based on too-often
    communication back to the server,for example,u click a radio a button,there
    is new page request, but in reality,such a communication is
    bandwidth-consuming and time-consuming. the user only need to submit the
    form, and the exchange between IE and Server was minimazed.
    the Speed of ASPX is not useful for most sites, for bigger sites, the speed
    increase is singnificant,but for small sites with less traffic, the speed of
    ASP is quite enough.

    3.ASPX is based on Object Orinted Programming, but in most small sites,
    Procedure orinted programming is used, we never build objects, and POP is
    more efficient.ASPX is for three-tiered structure with a single layer of
    business logic component, but in reality, most of us used two-tier
    structure,that is Presetation layer and Datalayer, we can layout the page
    and change the database in a single page, quite effienct too.

    how about ur comment?

    Nakhi
    Lijiang,China
    nakhi, Dec 22, 2003

  2. nakhi wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I updated to aspx last three month,after developing serveral
    > applications,Idecided to downgraded to asp, following is my reasons:
    > 1.in ASPX,the page format is hard to control,in ASP u can change every html
    > as u like ,but in aspx, a aspx control decide the page format,and its hard
    > to change the format.

    Yes. ASPX reminds me of Visual InterDev's Scripting Object Model(SOM),
    which I learned initially out of curiosity but which I then as quickly
    abandoned due to it's clumsiness and overhead. I find that generating
    HTML is quite clear and straightforward, whereas setting attributes and
    calling methods that (only later) do the HTML generation to be an
    unwanted and unnecessary level of indirection.

    > 2.ASPX is said to be faster that asp,

    I wonder if this is really so. Initially Microsoft would not allow
    benchmarking of ASPX; if you used a pre-production version of the .NET
    framework the EULA prohibited benchmarking. I don't know of any current
    benchmarks that are not biased in some way. Has anyone done a valid
    comparison of ASP versus ASPX?

    > but it is based on too-often
    > communication back to the server,for example,u click a radio a button,there
    > is new page request, but in reality,such a communication is
    > bandwidth-consuming and time-consuming. the user only need to submit the
    > form, and the exchange between IE and Server was minimazed.

    This was also present in the older SOM when the ASP page was set to do
    server-side processing.

    > the Speed of ASPX is not useful for most sites, for bigger sites, the speed
    > increase is singnificant,but for small sites with less traffic, the speed of
    > ASP is quite enough.

    And if it isn't enough, the cost of additional memory or a faster
    processor is quite low.

    > 3.ASPX is based on Object Orinted Programming,

    And it's object-oriented all the way down to the lowest level,
    Microsoft's developers might be proud to add!-) Unfortunately that
    doesn't necessarily help produce production code.

    One humorous part of this is ADO.NET's attempt at "objectifying"
    relational database structure: I burst out laughing when I first read
    about DataRelations. Now I'm well aware of the so-called "impedance
    mismatch" problem (where object-oriented languages meet relational
    databases), but the best solution IMO is to maintain all relationships
    and business rules in the database per se and NOT to move them up into a
    separate "business tier". But the latter is Microsoft's apparent
    approach, so the "objectification" of .NET reaches into what is IMO
    properly the database domain.

    Time will tell if Microsoft's approach will be fruitful. But relational
    databases have been around a long time and to use them merely as
    repositories of disconnected data without internal referential integrity
    and data constraints or to attempt to duplicate their internal
    consistency rules needlessly in a separate business layer is to regress
    to an earlier era of data processing. Luckily one has an implementation
    choice in these matters (i.e., .NET doesn't _force_ you to use a
    business rule layer).
    > but in most small sites,
    > Procedure orinted programming is used, we never build objects, and POP is
    > more efficient.ASPX is for three-tiered structure with a single layer of
    > business logic component, but in reality, most of us used two-tier
    > structure,that is Presetation layer and Datalayer, we can layout the page
    > and change the database in a single page, quite effienct too.
    > how about ur comment?
    > Nakhi
    > Lijiang,China

    I agree. Of course, this _is_ an ASP newsgroup!:cool:)

    Good Luck,
    Michael D. Kersey
    Michael D. Kersey, Dec 22, 2003