Reusing web user controls across application

Niranjan

Hi,

How can we reuse user controls across web applications. I
have controls that are common to my company and want to
reuse them across all applications.

Thanks
Niranjan

John Saunders

Niranjan said:
Hi,

How can we reuse user controls across web applications. I
have controls that are common to my company and want to
reuse them across all applications.

You can't do this with user controls. That's one of their limitations.

John Saunders

Teemu Keiski said:
Actually you can, but such that create a virtual directory in IIS for each
application that need to use these
shared user controls. Map this virtual directory to one physical directory
that contains the user controls.

Does this work with user controls which have codebehind? Perhaps you can use
SourceSafe to "share" the user controls into each project?

I tried this about a year ago, and VS.NET gave me grief about the namespace
used by the user controls. I tried to remove the "namespace." from wherever
it was referenced in the control, but that didn't work. I don't recall why
not, and I don't believe that I tried using a single common namespace for
all of the controls. This was on a set of VB.NET web sites.

Good luck. If you get it to work, please tell the newsgroup.