Reverse function python? How to use?

frankie_85

Ok I'm really lost (I'm new to python) how to use the reverse function.

I made a little program which basically the a, b, c, d, e which I have
listed below and basically I want it th result to be printed reverse so
instead doing "print e, d, c, b, a", I'd like to use the reverse
function

Can someone give pointersguidelines / on how to do it?

Code:
    a = str(math.sqrt(math.fabs(x1)) + 5*((math.pow(x1,3))))
    b = str(math.sqrt(math.fabs(x2)) + 5*((math.pow(x2,3))))
    c = str(math.sqrt(math.fabs(x3)) + 5*((math.pow(x3,3))))
    d = str(math.sqrt(math.fabs(x4)) + 5*((math.pow(x4,3))))
    e = str(math.sqrt(math.fabs(x5)) + 5*((math.pow(x5,3))))

Thanks in advance

Nick Vatamaniuc

Use the list's reverse() function. The only thing to keep in mind is
that it will reverse in-place.
Here is an example:
--------------------------------
In [1]: l=[1,2,3]

In [2]: l.reverse()

In [3]: l
Out[3]: [3, 2, 1]
------------------------------------
So you could accumulate your results in a list then apply reverse() on
it.

Hope this helps,
Nick Vatamaniuc

Murali

Something like this?

Code:
foo = [x1,x2,x3,x4,x5]
bar = [math.sqrt(math.fabs(x))+5*math.pow(x,3) for x in foo]
bar.reverse()
print bar

Ben Finney

frankie_85 said:
I made a little program which basically the a, b, c, d, e which I
have listed below and basically I want it th result to be printed
reverse so instead doing "print e, d, c, b, a", I'd like to use the
reverse function

As was pointed out before, your assignment requires you to use a
list. You're using completely distinct names instead of storing these
sequences in a container. Read your course notes again, paying
attention to "containers" and especially "lists".

jmcantrell

If you wanted to keep the original list intact, you could do...

Code:
foo = [x1,x2,x3,x4,x5]
bar = [math.sqrt(math.fabs(x))+5*math.pow(x,3) for x in foo]
bar_reversed = reversed(bar)

frankie_85 said:
Ok I'm really lost (I'm new to python) how to use the reverse function.
I made a little program which basically the a, b, c, d, e which I have
listed below and basically I want it th result to be printed reverse so
instead doing "print e, d, c, b, a", I'd like to use the reverse
function
Can someone give pointersguidelines / on how to do it?
Code:
a = str(math.sqrt(math.fabs(x1)) + 5*((math.pow(x1,3))))
b = str(math.sqrt(math.fabs(x2)) + 5*((math.pow(x2,3))))
c = str(math.sqrt(math.fabs(x3)) + 5*((math.pow(x3,3))))
d = str(math.sqrt(math.fabs(x4)) + 5*((math.pow(x4,3))))
e = str(math.sqrt(math.fabs(x5)) + 5*((math.pow(x5,3))))
Thanks in advance

Kay Schluehr

frankie_85 said:
Ok I'm really lost (I'm new to python) how to use the reverse function.

I made a little program which basically the a, b, c, d, e which I have
listed below and basically I want it th result to be printed reverse so
instead doing "print e, d, c, b, a", I'd like to use the reverse
function

You can use extended slice operators

http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.5/whatsnew/section-slices.html [1]

This function call should do what yo expect

print [e, d, c, b, a][::-1]

[1] Does anyone know where to find a comprehensible description of
enhanced slices in the Python docs besides an an aged "What's new?"
column? Or is it intended that newbies read this
http://docs.python.org/ref/slicings.html ?