RFC: CPAN module for blocking open proxy requests

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jul 14, 2010.

  1. [ also posted to PerlMonks/Meditations ]

    I have uploaded HTTP::proxyTest to CPAN.
    http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?HTTP::ProxyTest

    <quote README>
    Robots that send comment spam are often hidden behind anonymous open
    proxy servers. You can use HTTP::proxyTest to look for open proxies
    on-the-fly and prevent such spam robots from submitting their crap. The
    module is particularly useful if you don't want to bother your web site
    visitors with CAPTCHAs etc.

    HTTP::proxyTest tests certain ports of REMOTE_ADDR that are often used
    for anonymous open proxies, and denies access if an open proxy is found,
    i.e. it responds with status "403 Forbidden" and exits.
    </quote README>

    I have been using that approach to fighting comment spam for more than a
    year, and it has proved to work well.
    http://groups.google.se/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/msg/08ed3e1a2cc3f15b

    Your comments on both the usefulness of HTTP::proxyTest and the code
    would be much welcome. Since the module source is conveniently available
    at CPAN, I did not post it here.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jul 14, 2010