    get no Ri reference to those classes, despite if I remember correctly, some
    documentation from them existing in the Programming Ruby book.
    Charles Comstock
    Charles Comstock, Feb 19, 2004

  2. > What exactly should / shouldn't Ri be missing? I assumed stuff like
    > TCPSocket would be listed, but in my stable snapshot of 1.8.1 from
    > earlier this week, I get no Ri reference to those classes, despite if I
    > remember correctly, some documentation from them existing in the
    > Programming Ruby book.
    > Charles Comstock

    TCPSocket is not "core API"; it's "standard library". 'ri' attempts to
    document both categories using the source code. The code for TCPSocket is
    in ext/socket/socket.c, which has no documentation at all in it.

    RDoc uses certain heuristics to understand C files. If classes and
    methods are not defined in a certain (common) way, then RDoc won't pick
    them up unless you give explicit comments like

    /*
    * Document-class: TCPSocket
    *
    * TCPSocket is a ...
    */

    I think the whole core API has been documented. The standard library,
    however, is large and progress is slow. I just finished strscan, which
    has excellent (but incomplete) documentation in RD form. All up, it took
    me about 10 hours to properly document the source code.

    Could you please visit OnlineDocumentationIssues on the Wiki to report
    TCPSocket and other classes you notice to be missing?

    Cheers,
    Gavin
    Gavin Sinclair, Feb 19, 2004