ri/rdoc on gentoo

Jim Crossley

Hi Ruby'ers. I'm a newbie trying to set up my Gentoo box with ruby.
I'm pretty much there except for ri.

Gentoo's ruby ebuild doesn't seem to include the rdoc, i.e. it doesn't
run 'make install-doc'. So I tried doing it myself:

$ su -
$ cd /usr/lib/ruby/1.8
$ rdoc --all --ri-system

That seemed to work, but I don't think my docs are complete. For
example, when I type 'ri -T Kernel' now, this is my output:

====> OUTPUT BEGIN
---------------------------------------------------------- Class: Kernel
(no description...)

Instance methods:
-----------------
URI, open
====> OUTPUT END

I would've expected to see class methods like print and scan. What am
I missing?

Thanks,
Jim

Jason Sweat

Hi Ruby'ers. I'm a newbie trying to set up my Gentoo box with ruby.
I'm pretty much there except for ri.

Gentoo's ruby ebuild doesn't seem to include the rdoc, i.e. it doesn't
run 'make install-doc'. So I tried doing it myself:

$ su -
$ cd /usr/lib/ruby/1.8
$ rdoc --all --ri-system
Thanks,
Jim

add doc to your USE flags when you emerge ruby

Jason Sweat

That's too simple. :)

Worked like a charm. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Jim

No problem.

I like using emerge ruby-cvs to get ruby version 1.9

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.9.0 (2004-11-25) [i686-linux]

You can easily choose between this version and ruby 1.8.2 from the
dev-lang/ruby using

$ ruby-config ruby19
or
$ ruby-config ruby18