rich client ASP.NET app?

Bob

We have a pretty complicated Excel based application that I'm looking to
make the functionalities online. It has very rich UI and displays numerous
input controls (think a tax form like screen). It's so customized that a
user wouldn't know it's Excel. It does some simple calculations when user
inputs something into certain cells. It can also track user input on a cell
by cell basis (e.g. a history of Bob changed to this on this day, Joe
changed to that on that day etc). The app is used by internal
professionals to review/edit complicated data provided by external users.
Being a desktop app, the data is a CSV file that it reads/writes on the
user's computer.

The goal to move to an online solution is to centralize data storage,
improve performance, and allow users not in the same domain to work on the
data. I'm thinking that it probably has to have richer client side than an
average web application. Does anyone have experience in something similar?
There are several options I'm thinking of (1) a normal ASP.NET app with
complex client side javascript and DHTML; (2) a .NET desktop app
communicating with a server end via web services; It's for internal use
only so the user base is well known. (3) rich web components like the Office
Web Component. I have not worked with it so don't know whether it fits or
not. (4) maybe some other client components I'm not aware of ?

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.
Bob

Kevin Spencer

Hi Bob,

Under the circumstances, I would thing that number 2 is your best bet.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Ambiguity has a certain quality to it.

Jeffrey Todd

I would also go with #2 (rich client), but also consider alternatives to Web
services, like .NET Remoting which might be a viable alternative depending
on what you mean by "domain" when you say that users not in the same domain
will need to work on the data. Are all of your clients within the same
Active Directory domain forest? Or are you saying that some users will be
coming in from the Internet while others will exist within your company
domain?

-HTH

hashimisayed

Bob,

Based on the requirements you specify, I think a smart client solution
is the way to go. Smart clients offer the best of both thin clients and
thick clients (along with other benefits). I recommend you do a quick
read of the following:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/smartclient/understanding/definition/default.aspx

There are several sample applications that can help you get started.
Here is a link to one of them:

http://www.windowsforms.net/Applications/application.aspx?PageID=20&tabindex=8

Let me know if this is an option you can consider and I can guide your
further. One other question, can you built this with Visual Studio
2005? There is a whole lot of benefit to doing so if possible? I can
elaborate after you respond.

sayed

hashimisayed

Bob,

Based on the requirements you specify, I think a smart client solution
is the way to go. Smart clients offer the best of both thin clients and
thick clients (along with other benefits). I recommend you do a quick
read of the following:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/smartclient/understanding/definition/default.aspx

There are several sample applications that can help you get started.
Here is a link to one of them:

http://www.windowsforms.net/Applications/application.aspx?PageID=20&tabindex=8

Let me know if this is an option you can consider and I can guide your
further. One other question, can you built this with Visual Studio
2005? There is a whole lot of benefit to doing so if possible? I can
elaborate after you respond.

sayed

bradley

The goal to move to an online solution is to centralize data storage,

Regardless of what you implement on the GUI end, this probably should be SQL
Server rather than Excel or CSV files.
improve performance,

Rich client web apps suck when it comes to GUI performance. Browser
scripting and post backs could leave your users waiting several seconds
every time they enter data and tab into another field.

and allow users not in the same domain to work on the

There are more simple ways to overcome this wihtout re-writing the
application. This is just a network admin issue.

If you decide to re-write as a .net app, then look into smart client
technology.