Richard Heathfield's personal threads.

Tor Rustad

Anonymous said:
Heathfield brings out feelings of dislike, frustration and anger in
me. He is pompous, opinionated, self-righteous, self-satisfied,
haughty, rude and arrogant.

Most likely, you feel that way because he has more education, higher IQ
and knows far more C than you do. Get over it.

Richard Heathfield

Antoninus Twink said:
It's really amazing that you keep trotting out this baseless slur which
is nothing but mud-slinging.

I wouldn't know about baseless slurs. I'll leave those to you.
It does smack of paranoia if you believe
that someone who threatened violence 5 years ago should disappear, then
suddenly reappear - this time not threatening violence at all.

I think you over-state your case. It's not particularly unlikely, and it
fits with the known and observable facts. If you would like to demonstrate
that it's not true, fine, just demonstrate C expertise that would justify
the time we spend reading your articles. That would certainly disambiguate
matters.
It also seems to come from the arrogance mentioned - is it so hard to
believe that more than one person could independently, in different
times and places, form a more-negative-than-positive opinion of you?

No, not at all. In fact, I think there are several such people on Usenet. I
could probably name eight or ten, in fact, if the mood took me (which it
doesn't, particularly). And no, I don't think that they're all
sock-puppets for one opponent. Nor do I think they are necessarily bad
folks. In at least one case, in fact, I am convinced that the person in
question has such an opinion through an unfortunate misunderstanding that
I am now in no position to correct, alas.
Many contributors to this group (Old Wolf, Tor Rustad and Default User
to name but three) use pseudonyms, and this is common practise across
the Usenet.

I'm pretty sure Tor Rustad is his real name, actually. Anyway, all three of
them differ from you in having something to say about C that I find worth
reading.
I see... of course, accusing Jacob of idiocy, thoughtlessness, and being
a self-serving spammer whoe abuses Usenet is not part of any campaign.

I can't imagine where you get such an idea. I am not interested in
vendettas (or possibly vendettae).
It was an alogrithmic inefficiency - an obscure 2-pass algorithm instead
of a single line of idiomatic code.

Read the thread again, bozo-brain. You *can* read, can't you?

Sheesh, FCOL, etc.

CBFalconer

Mark said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:
.... snip ...

You're Jacob Navia / Kenny McKormack / Karl Malbrain and I claim my
five pounds.

*plonk*

The one thing that is obvious is that he is not Jacob.

newnews.home.nl

Ben Pfaff said:
I disagree with your characterizations (except for the
"opinionated" part). Richard Heathfield is a valuable
contributor to this newsgroup. What have you contributed to it?

I'll quote something from the book Game Coding Complete by Mike McShaffry
where he is talking about video game artists.

"Dont get me wrong; many of them are completely insane, opinionated,
temperamental and ultra perfectionists. Come to think of it that sounds
exactly like most of the programmers I know"

This is my experience too, also in this group and of course me personally,
its not nececessarily a bad thing. Just wanted to say that, carry on flaming
people!

Ben Bacarisse

Heathfield brings out feelings of dislike,

Then get a proper news reader and configure the kill file. The topic
here is the C programming language, not your feelings about any of the
posters.

Kenny McCormack

Then get a proper news reader and configure the kill file. The topic
here is the C programming language, not your feelings about any of the
posters.

Ahem. Why is it that whenever a member of the hoi polloi posts
something that is "off topic" for whatever reason, all the regs
(including one KM, running in satire mode) jump up and down like 3 year
olds shouting "OT! OT! OT!". When it is suggested to them that if they
don't like it (the OT posts), they should just:
a) configure their kill files
and b) STFU
they get all hyper and start ranting about the death of civilization and
supposed events in the newgroup dedicated to That Other Language.

But, when the hallowed Dickie posts OT nonsense (his personal feelings
about various supposed trolls and, of course, Jacob), somehow that is
protected and now, the people who don't like it are supposed to just:
a) configure their kill files
and b) STFU

Hmmmmm.....

Mark McIntyre

The one thing that is obvious is that he is not Jacob.

Ya reckon?
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

antondeck

Ben said:
I disagree with your characterizations (except for the
"opinionated" part). Richard Heathfield is a valuable
contributor to this newsgroup. What have you contributed to it?

It's sad that so many people here choose this path of obscurity and
introspection rather than looking outward and providing a useful
resource to the C community.

Heathfield in this group reminds me of Adolf Hitler - he was also a
strong leader, but did he really take people where they wanted to go?

Ben Bacarisse

It's sad that so many people here choose this path of obscurity and
introspection rather than looking outward and providing a useful
resource to the C community.

Heathfield in this group reminds me of Adolf Hitler - he was also a
strong leader, but did he really take people where they wanted to
go?

Bingo! Godwin's law -- thread officially dead.

(And this may be too serious a remark to be parenthetical: that is an
outrageous comparison and you should retract it immediately.)

Tor Rustad

Antoninus Twink wrote:

[...]
Many contributors to this group (Old Wolf, Tor Rustad and Default User
to name but three) use pseudonyms

Odd Lie,

was once a chess champion here. I can see why "Odd Lie" sounds
phony/funny to the English speakers. :) OTOH, I didn't see any humor in
the mathematics of Lie groups and Lie algebra, named after another Lie.

However, a name like "Tor", should be far more familiar to the Germanic
language speakers. In English it's written "Thor", in German "Donner",
something similar in Dutch etc. etc.

AFAIK, in all the Germanic languages (spoken by 500+ million people),
has one weekday named after "Tor", besides that, the origin of "thunder"
has it's roots in "Tor". There is even a Wiki page about the name:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor

So, not only am I posting under my real name, but it's a rather common
one too. <gd&r>

CBFalconer

Tor said:
.... snip ...

AFAIK, in all the Germanic languages (spoken by 500+ million people),
has one weekday named after "Tor", besides that, the origin of "thunder"
has it's roots in "Tor". There is even a Wiki page about the name:

Are you including English in 'Germanic' languages? I don't
consider that valid, since English is a mixture of far too many
basic languages (at least French, Latin, Nordic, Celtic) not to
mention such things as Indian, South African, and even American and
Canadian. Bearing in mind the status in India, 500+ million is far
too low.

pete

Antoninus Twink wrote:
I haven't read through any of his writings on C, but it wouldn't
surprise me if they exhibited the familiar arrogant tone, interspersed
with some distortions and inaccuracies.

That, and the upper case 'F' in "HeathField",
identify you as the pathetic, would be nose puncher,
from long ago.

Al Balmer

That, and the upper case 'F' in "HeathField",
identify you as the pathetic, would be nose puncher,
from long ago.

Somehow, being attacked by a twink doesn't seem too frightening <g>.

Shadowman

Malcolm said:
Subject: Richard Heathfield's personal threads.

And I thought these posts were going to be a discussion on Richard
Heathfield's attire.

How disappointing.

Charlie Gordon

Tor Rustad said:
Antoninus Twink wrote:

[...]
Many contributors to this group (Old Wolf, Tor Rustad and Default User
to name but three) use pseudonyms

Odd Lie,

was once a chess champion here. I can see why "Odd Lie" sounds
phony/funny to the English speakers. :) OTOH, I didn't see any humor in
the mathematics of Lie groups and Lie algebra, named after another Lie.

However, a name like "Tor", should be far more familiar to the Germanic
language speakers. In English it's written "Thor", in German "Donner",
something similar in Dutch etc. etc.

AFAIK, in all the Germanic languages (spoken by 500+ million people),
has one weekday named after "Tor", besides that, the origin of "thunder"
has it's roots in "Tor". There is even a Wiki page about the name:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor

As explained in this article, Thor is at the root of Thursday and also
Torvald ;-)

Tor Rustad

CBFalconer said:
Tor Rustad wrote:
.... snip ...

Are you including English in 'Germanic' languages? I don't

Sure do, the Germanic languages not only include Old English and Middle
English, but also New English! :) A tree view of these related
languages, can be seen e.g. here:

http://softrat.home.mindspring.com/germanic.html
consider that valid, since English is a mixture of far too many
basic languages (at least French, Latin, Nordic, Celtic) not to
mention such things as Indian, South African, and even American and
Canadian.

I suppose neither of us are linguistics experts, but I can read at least
5 different Germanic languages, perhaps even 7+ when drunk. :)

If living in US, you might not been that exposed to the related Germanic
languages. Their similarities are quite striking, even between countries
with little contact.
Bearing in mind the status in India, 500+ million is far
too low.

I didn't count India, English is indeed an official language there.
However, do they really have English as their first language?

Richard Tobin

CBFalconer said:
Are you including English in 'Germanic' languages? I don't
consider that valid, since English is a mixture of far too many
basic languages

'Mixture" does not really capture of the development of English. It
is obvious the English has a huge number of words related to French
words, but other aspects of English are far less influenced by French.
I think it is more accurate to describe it as a Germanic language with
a large imported vocabulary.

-- Richard

jameskuyper

CBFalconer said:
Are you including English in 'Germanic' languages? I don't
consider that valid, since English is a mixture of far too many
basic languages (at least French, Latin, Nordic, Celtic) not to
mention such things as Indian, South African, and even American and
Canadian. Bearing in mind the status in India, 500+ million is far
too low.

The linguists classify English as a Germanic language. It has borrowed
a lot from other languages, especially Latin and the Romance
languages, particularly Norman Frenchy. However, it's basic
grammatical structure and it's most fundamental words remain Germanic.
I read somewhere that a count of the words in an English dictionary
showed that 75% of them had latin origins, either directly or through
the Romance languages. However, if you examine a large random sample
of spoken English, 75% of the words used are Germanic. That's because
the germanic words are used far more often than the English ones.
More directly to the point, English has "Thursday", which indeed
derives from "Thor's Day", so it is Germanic in at least the sense
that was needed in that context, even if it were Germanic in no other
sense.