RMI callback and firewalls

Alex Molochnikov

One of the solutions to this pesky problem advocated by Sun is a
custom-written Application-level Proxy. According to them, the proxy
(Java-based app that sits between the client and the server) should run on
the firewall machine, and maintain RMI connections with both parties.

Has anyone ever implemented such a solution? I looked through formus, but
found nothing beyond the original Sun Q&A
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/rmi/faq.html#firewallIn). Are there
any pitfalls in this approach? What happens if the firewall blocks all ports
by default and opens only specific ones? Will the Java app running on the
same host as the firewall have problems opening RMI ports?

I will appreciate any clues.

Alex Molochnikov
Gestalt Corporation