Rmi Unicastref on a ipv4/ipv6 system

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ben, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Has anyone been able to get an RMI object to work on ipv6 and ipv4 at
    the same time? I have a server, 'middle' which runs ipv4 and ipv6.
    When I start up my RMI server on 'middle', the object binds into the
    registry and advertises the address "192.168.1.36" in the UnicastRef.

    When I jump onto my ipv4-only Windows box, I can access the object
    just fine. When I switch to my ipv6-only Linux box (not running
    anything ipv4!), the RMI client application is able to retrieve the
    RMI Server object from the registry on 'middle', but any subsequent
    invokation on that RemoteRef fail, because the Remote Reference that
    'middle' returned said that the address is "192.168.1.136". I was
    able to verify this behavior using an ethernet sniffer (tcpdump) on
    'middle'.

    I switched things around and ran the RMI Server on the ipv6-only box,
    and then ran the client on 'middle' and it all worked fine. Since the
    RMI Server had started on the ipv6-only server, the only available IP
    address was the ipv6 address. Thus, when the RMI client running on
    'middle' retrieved the RemoteRef from the ipv6-only box, the RemoteRef
    contained the ipv6 address.

    So, the big question: how to I get a Remote object to bind in the
    registry and make it so that it'll work with ipv4 users and ipv6 uers?
    It doesn't seem that a RemoteRef can contain more than one "address" -
    and if that's the case, then I guess I'm severely hosed...

    Thanks!
    --Ben
    Ben, Sep 2, 2004