RMI with Pyro et al

Sells, Fred

I need a simple client/server architecture with clients on linux and servers on windows. There is no UI in this part, just business rules and access control.

Pyro seems pretty cool for this due to it's simplicity. I'm just starting with it and have not been able to get the server side to "see" changes to a module. The only way I can stop the server is with the Task Manager. Can anyone offer some insight into
1. stopping/starting the server - perhaps as a windows service.
2. getting the server to recognize new modules "on the fly", i.e. when the .py file is changed.

I'm not doing any UI stuff, so I don't want to deal with HTTP and a webserver. I also do not have any RDBMS involved. I like the idea of passing objects the way pyro does it.

If anyone thinks there is a better python tool for doing this, I would like to know.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and / or
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
immediately by replying to this message and deleting the material from any
computer.

Diez B. Roggisch

I need a simple client/server architecture with clients on linux and servers on windows. There is no UI in this part, just business rules and access control.

Pyro seems pretty cool for this due to it's simplicity. I'm just starting with it and have not been able to get the server side to "see" changes to a module. The only way I can stop the server is with the Task Manager. Can anyone offer some insight into
1. stopping/starting the server - perhaps as a windows service.
2. getting the server to recognize new modules "on the fly", i.e. when the .py file is changed.

That can be done, but isn't supported out-of-the-box. Essentially, you
have to create a watch-thread that checks timestamps on python-files and
then restarts some service if some change.

However, it might be difficult to make that play nicely with pyro -
after all, it stores some state, reloading stuff makes that go away.

So - I wouldn't advice to really implement that. Why do you want that
anyway? Does startuptime of a script really bother you? shouldn't take
more than a few seconds.

Diez