    that is also a clickable image map. Could someone please point in the
    direction of a tutorial to assist me or explain the basics here. Thank
    you.
    Denebola, Jan 19, 2006

  2. Denebola

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "Denebola" <> wrote:

    > Hi.... I would like to be able to have a rotating sphere on my website
    > that is also a clickable image map. Could someone please point in the
    > direction of a tutorial to assist me or explain the basics here. Thank
    > you.

    You can create a spinning sphere using animation software, the
    simplest I know is GifBuilder (a Mac program, freeware). There
    would be many others. Fireworks and many other graphics programs
    would have these facilities. Essentially you make a whole lot of
    stills and then the prgm makes them run together creating a movie
    effect in an animated gif. You can make an image map (in the
    html, you reference the coordinates of the bits of the picture
    that will make a user go to another page or whatever. This
    technology will be blind to the changing content but could be
    useful in a situation where links go according to whether the
    viewer chooses latitudes because latitudes happen to luckily
    correspond to the y coordinates of the rectangle which is
    referenced. Clear as mud? Wait till you hear the fancy doodle
    dandy things Travis or Space-Girl (where the hell is she?) will
    tell you about Flash!

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 19, 2006

  3. Denebola

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    Denebola wrote:
    > Hi.... I would like to be able to have a rotating sphere on my website
    > that is also a clickable image map. Could someone please point in the
    > direction of a tutorial to assist me or explain the basics here. Thank
    > you.

    Dorayme gave you good information to make your own. You can also start
    with a ready made animated gif. You might find something you like at
    http://www.uselessgraphics.com/ . Check under globes and space in the
    index. The owner of this huge site offers all of them free. However he
    also states that they were collected from all over the web and thought
    to be in public domain. Thus I would not assume that all of them are
    copyright free, especially if you put them up on a commercial site.
    Some image tools will allow you to read copyright information hidden in
    images, if any is there. Beware of anything that is from Disney, as
    they have made several people remove their images from web sites.If you
    site makes money, they might also want a large fee for every hit to the
    page on your site with their image since the page was put up.
    cwdjrxyz, Jan 19, 2006
  4. Denebola

    dorayme Guest

    Denebola wrote:
    > Hi.... I would like to be able to have a rotating sphere on my website
    > that is also a clickable image map. Could someone please point in the
    > direction of a tutorial to assist me or explain the basics here. Thank
    > you.

    Another way to make an animated gif of a spinning globe (say, Earth)
    would be to take a little movie of one on your digital camera. Then,
    using commands like in Quicktime (a movie player program esp popular
    with Macs but also available for Wintel machines), you can get all the
    stills put into a folder as jpgs. These can be culled and formatted in a
    graphics program (to gif) to make up a reasonably small animated gif.
    You would have fun too.

    --
    dorayme

    (please do not photograph Mars, I am already in enough trouble with my
    minders up there)
    dorayme, Jan 19, 2006
  5. Denebola

    Guest

    Denebola wrote:
    > Hi.... I would like to be able to have a rotating sphere on my website
    > that is also a clickable image map. Could someone please point in the
    > direction of a tutorial to assist me or explain the basics here. Thank
    > you.

    I suspect you're already out of your depth. Adding an image map to an
    animated GIF is no more difficult than adding one to a standard image.
    However, your post implies that you'd like to be able to replicate the
    functionality of Google Earth, where a user can click on part of the
    image that rotates in to view and gets a different response that
    clicking something else. The image map doesn't scroll with the image,
    though you could write some JavaScript that could fudge this effect for
    you.

    The other advice you've been given is, perhaps, off the mark. Try
    looking into doing something with Flash. It would also help if you
    gave a little detail about what you're trying to achieve, rather than
    trying to find the answer to a problem you have not yet defined.

    --
    Hywel
    , Jan 19, 2006
  6. Denebola

    Denebola Guest

    Okay.... i am way out of my depth here...... i'm not a programmer just
    a novice with an interest.

    So a change of idea......

    Could i have a live clock on a webpage and a small area on the page
    changes it's picture and link with each second or 60 seconds etc. So
    for example, the time is 08:00 and a jpg with link when clicked will go
    to a website about breakfast; then at 12:00 the picture and link
    changes to a website about lunch etc.

    Regards
    Denebola, Jan 19, 2006
  7. Denebola wrote:
    > Okay.... i am way out of my depth here...... i'm not a programmer just
    > a novice with an interest.
    >
    > So a change of idea......
    >
    > Could i have a live clock on a webpage and a small area on the page
    > changes it's picture and link with each second or 60 seconds etc. So
    > for example, the time is 08:00 and a jpg with link when clicked will go
    > to a website about breakfast; then at 12:00 the picture and link
    > changes to a website about lunch etc.
    >
    > Regards

    Get some kindly soul to write a script (javascript, php) for you in one
    of the other newsgroups so look for a newsgroup of the same name. All
    the fancier stuff would be through some scripting language pasted into
    your HTML page that references the area the holds the image.

    Richard.
    Richard Brooks, Jan 20, 2006
  8. On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:25:17 +0000, dorayme wrote
    (in article <43cf853a$0$9138$>):

    > Denebola wrote:
    >> Hi.... I would like to be able to have a rotating sphere on my website
    >> that is also a clickable image map. Could someone please point in the
    >> direction of a tutorial to assist me or explain the basics here. Thank
    >> you.
    >>

    > Another way to make an animated gif of a spinning globe (say, Earth)
    > would be to take a little movie of one on your digital camera.

    <snip>
    Um - wouldn't that mean going up into space first? I can never jump high
    enough.

    --
    Sally in Shropshire, UK
    http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk
    Sally Thompson, Jan 21, 2006
  9. Denebola

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Sally Thompson <> wrote:

    > > Another way to make an animated gif of a spinning globe (say, Earth)
    > > would be to take a little movie of one on your digital camera.

    > <snip>
    > Um - wouldn't that mean going up into space first? I can never jump high
    > enough.

    I am trying to recall where I saw a nice one, a shop or museum or
    some uni. room? I chucked out mine (about 12" diam) a while back,
    it looked a bit cheap... and old (prior, you see, to that idiot
    American president's attempt to change "the map of the Middle
    East")

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 21, 2006