RPA and iowa

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Lloyd Zusman, Nov 23, 2004.

  1. Lloyd Zusman

    Lloyd Zusman Guest

    This question has to do both with RPA and with iowa.

    I have recently installed iowa via RPA as suggested on the iowa web
    site (on this page: http://enigo.com/projects/iowa/index.html).

    Now, I'm going through the iowa tutorial, but I can't find the WEBrick
    example. The tutorial says to do the following:

    cd examples/webrick/iowa
    ruby webrick_iowa.rb

    However, I don't have a clue as to where RPA put the
    "examples/webrick/iowa" directory, or for that matter, if it even
    installed that directory at all.

    Can anyone point me to where that directory lives when iowa is installed
    via RPA?

    If that directory doesn't exist, I know that I can get it by downloading
    and unpacking the iowa tarball from SourceForge. However, that obviates
    the need to use RPA in the first place.

    And if indeed SourceForge is a better choice for iowa downloads, what
    will happen from now on if I give up on RPA? In using it for this iowa
    download, it created a package tree that contains the installations of
    iowa and all its dependencies, some of which are upgrades of packages
    that I had previously installed outside of RPA. If I stop using RPA,
    will I have to remove the RPA package tree in order to keep my installs
    in sync? If so, will I have to re-install everything that RPA has
    recently put under its tree?

    Thanks in advance for any insights you might be able to offer about all
    of this.

    --
    Lloyd Zusman

    God bless you.

    Lloyd Zusman, Nov 23, 2004

  2. Lloyd Zusman

    Lloyd Zusman Guest

    CORRECTION: in the message below, please change all occurrences of
    the string "SourceForge" to "RubyForge".

    --
    Lloyd Zusman

    God bless you.

    Lloyd Zusman, Nov 23, 2004

  3. On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 11:56:50AM +0900, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
    > However, I don't have a clue as to where RPA put the
    > "examples/webrick/iowa" directory, or for that matter, if it even
    > installed that directory at all.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to where that directory lives when iowa is installed
    > via RPA?

    The documentation is installed under $prefix/share/doc/rpa0.0; this is
    followed consistently for all ports.

    You can get the list of files associated to the iowa package with
    rpa info -Dfiles -x iowa

    > And if indeed SourceForge is a better choice for iowa downloads, what
    > will happen from now on if I give up on RPA? In using it for this iowa
    > download, it created a package tree that contains the installations of
    > iowa and all its dependencies, some of which are upgrades of packages
    > that I had previously installed outside of RPA. If I stop using RPA,
    > will I have to remove the RPA package tree in order to keep my installs
    > in sync?

    There is no need to remove the packages: note that rpa-base installs
    the .rb files under $prefix/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8 (i.e. the standard
    library path), and they are used with the normal Kernel.require.
    The files under $prefix/lib/ruby/rpa0.0 would only be used if you
    require 'rpa'

    If you don't want to use it anymore, you can remove rpa-base itself with
    rpa remove rpa-base
    This is not atomic for obvious reasons ;)
    The scripts that use "require 'rpa'", if you have written any, would
    stop working. If this is a problem and you still want to remove rpa-base,
    you can create a dummy rpa.rb like

    RPA = Struct.new:)version).new

    > If so, will I have to re-install everything that RPA has
    > recently put under its tree?

    No. You can install over files "owned" by rpa-base. The files in the
    standard site_ruby dir will be used preferentially, unless you
    explicitly require 'rpa' .

    --
    Hassle-free packages for Ruby?

    Mauricio Fernández, Nov 23, 2004
  4. Lloyd Zusman

    Lloyd Zusman Guest

    Mauricio Fernández <> writes:

    > On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 11:56:50AM +0900, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
    >> However, I don't have a clue as to where RPA put the
    >> "examples/webrick/iowa" directory, or for that matter, if it even
    >> installed that directory at all.
    >>
    >> Can anyone point me to where that directory lives when iowa is installed
    >> via RPA?

    > The documentation is installed under $prefix/share/doc/rpa0.0; this is
    > followed consistently for all ports.

    Aha! Yes, what I'm looking for is there.

    > You can get the list of files associated to the iowa package with
    > rpa info -Dfiles -x iowa

    Thanks, this is very useful.

    > There is no need to remove the packages: note that rpa-base installs
    > the .rb files under $prefix/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8 (i.e. the standard
    > library path), and they are used with the normal Kernel.require.
    > The files under $prefix/lib/ruby/rpa0.0 would only be used if you
    > require 'rpa'
    >
    > If you don't want to use it anymore, you can remove rpa-base itself with
    > rpa remove rpa-base
    > This is not atomic for obvious reasons ;)
    > The scripts that use "require 'rpa'", if you have written any, would
    > stop working. If this is a problem and you still want to remove rpa-base,
    > you can create a dummy rpa.rb like
    >
    > RPA = Struct.new:)version).new

    OK. This clears things up for me.

    >> If so, will I have to re-install everything that RPA has
    >> recently put under its tree?

    > No. You can install over files "owned" by rpa-base. The files in the
    > standard site_ruby dir will be used preferentially, unless you
    > explicitly require 'rpa' .

    Thanks for all your help!

    --
    Lloyd Zusman

    God bless you.

    Lloyd Zusman, Nov 23, 2004
  5. On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 07:51:54PM +0900, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
    > > The documentation is installed under $prefix/share/doc/rpa0.0; this is
    > > followed consistently for all ports.

    > Aha! Yes, what I'm looking for is there.

    All the useful information from the upstream tarball should be preserved
    in the RPA port. If not, you can consider it a bug (see below).

    > > You can get the list of files associated to the iowa package with
    > > rpa info -Dfiles -x iowa

    Forgot to say that those paths are relative to the $prefix you specified
    when installing rpa-base.

    If you have any problems with the iowa (or another) RPA port or some
    idea to make it better, feel free to issue a bug report at

    http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=1087&group_id=265&func=browse

    under the "Ports" category.

    --
    Hassle-free packages for Ruby?

    Mauricio Fernández, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Lloyd Zusman

    leon breedt Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:12:28 +0900, Mauricio Fernández
    <> wrote:
    > http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=1087&group_id=265&func=browse

    Erm, who wants to write some RewriteRules using a RewriteMap to lookup
    project IDs for RubyForge so we can make URLs like the above one
    pretty?

    Possible replacement candidates:

    http://rubyforge.org/tracker/rpa-base
    http://rubyforge.org/projects/rpa-base/tracker

    Or even just a redirect from a friendly URL to the full one would
    serve the purpose of making it easy to give out the URL to people, as
    well as future proof it.

    I know I won't remember that URL should I need to report bugs in the future :)

    Leon

    leon breedt, Nov 23, 2004
  7. Lloyd Zusman

    Tom Copeland Guest

    On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 06:42, leon breedt wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:12:28 +0900, Mauricio Fernández
    > <> wrote:
    > > http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=1087&group_id=265&func=browse

    > Erm, who wants to write some RewriteRules using a RewriteMap to lookup
    > project IDs for RubyForge so we can make URLs like the above one
    > pretty?
    >
    > Possible replacement candidates:
    >
    > http://rubyforge.org/tracker/rpa-base
    > http://rubyforge.org/projects/rpa-base/tracker
    >
    > .Or even just a redirect from a friendly URL to the full one would
    > serve the purpose of making it easy to give out the URL to people, as
    > well as future proof it.
    >
    > I know I won't remember that URL should I need to report bugs in the future :)

    Could be done... it's a bit tricky, though, because some projects have
    disabled the trackers and thus wouldn't have a destination for a URL
    like that. I kind of feel like most folks just go to the project page
    and start clicking from there, although I could be wrong...

    Yours,

    Tom

    Tom Copeland, Nov 23, 2004