RS232, UART and Igloo nano Kit

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Bert_Paris, Mar 30, 2009.

  1. Bert_Paris

    Bert_Paris Guest

    Hello,
    I have built an Application Note for newbies (& students !) who want to
    understand and implement RS232 (UART) in an FPGA. Especially when it's
    an assignement, they should follow this document instead of asking for
    the UART code (which I give away only in the context of larger
    educational projects).
    I have also built a nice (I think) Tutorial to implement and test a
    simple UART in the new Igloo nano Kit (49 $!), complete with all steps
    from installing the (free) development software to building the design,
    programming the kit and testing the RS232 on a PC.
    These are available at :
    http://www.alse-fr.com/UART/ALSE_RS232.pdf
    http://www.alse-fr.com/Actel/ALSE_Igloo_nano.exe
    As I state in this document, do not expect tech support for free stuff,
    though I welcome useful remarks and suggestions.

    Hope it helps (and will reduce the amount of requests for the UART),

    Bert Cuzeau
    CTO ALSE
    (can be reached at info@ the website in the links above)
    Bert_Paris, Mar 30, 2009

  2. Bert_Paris

    JohnDuq

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2008
    Messages:
    88
    Bertrand - Very nice! This is an excellent serial port summary. It almost makes me want to implement one just for fun!

    John
    JohnDuq, Mar 30, 2009