Rss feed for a web directory, is it possible?

Discussion in 'XML' started by hp_1981@yahoo.com, Jun 27, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    My website is a web directory like dmoz and yahoo directory. Can I let
    webmasters or even weblog owners to have a copy of my site, allowing
    them to present it the way they want to, by providing rss links? Is rss

    a good solution?

    If so, I think I have two options:

    1. Providing a rss feed for each page (each directory):
    In this case, can website owners show all my website's pages by using a

    rss reader without redirecting users to my website?

    2. Providing a single rss file on the homepage:
    Then the size of it may reach up to 4 MB. Will this cause any problem
    for rss readers? can rss readers categorizes this single file and show
    it in different virtual pages?

    If you help me to a good solution, I should be grateful. Thanks you!

    Regards,
    Hector

    , Jun 27, 2006

  2. Greger Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > My website is a web directory like dmoz and yahoo directory. Can I let
    > webmasters or even weblog owners to have a copy of my site, allowing
    > them to present it the way they want to, by providing rss links? Is rss
    >
    > a good solution?

    yes

    > If so, I think I have two options:
    >

    > 1. Providing a rss feed for each page (each directory):
    > In this case, can website owners show all my website's pages by using a
    >
    > rss reader without redirecting users to my website?

    basically yes, depends on how you do it. The thing with rss is that you
    present snippets of information, which is easily digested and quick, not
    whole pages as such. The great thing with RSS is exactly that it is light
    and fast, lots faster to surf RSS feeds for interesting information than to
    surf pages. Present your content in as small snippets as you can in the
    feed(s), and link back to your site in the guid ( rss2.0 I believe)
    elements for example. That way you will get the visitors actually wanting
    to read more about what you present in the feed items. More targeted than
    trying to get "page surfers".

    > 2. Providing a single rss file on the homepage:
    > Then the size of it may reach up to 4 MB. Will this cause any problem
    > for rss readers? can rss readers categorizes this single file and show
    > it in different virtual pages?

    4MB is far to much for one single rss feed. Most aggregators can probably
    handle it but not many will want to wait for that download to see just a
    few new items each time. Most often one feed contains about 20 items or so.
    If you want to present lots of information, then probably you could have
    several feeds with small amount of items for each feed/subject area.

    --
    Qx RSS Reader 1.2.6 released
    RSS Reader for Linux.

    Greger, Jun 27, 2006