RSS is a failure when used for social search and tagging - is there another XML scheme that develope

Discussion in 'XML' started by Jake Barnes, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. Jake Barnes

    Jake Barnes Guest

    Reading over this debate I came to realize that RSS is too limited to
    mediate against the weaknesses and failures of social search:

    http://atomiq.org/archives/2005/04/market_populism_in_the_folksonomies_debate.html
    http://www.rebeccablood.net/archive/2005/01.html#11technorati
    http://tagsonomy.com/index.php/semi-structured-meta-data-has-a-posse-a-response-to-gene-smith/

    I have the sense that at least one goal of all this social search and
    tagging is to recreate what Amazon.com does for its products, where it
    mentions "People who bought this product also liked these items:". But
    with social search and tagging, I think the idea is to recreate what
    Amazon is doing in a way that is open and distributed. People have, so
    far, mostly been using the CATEGORY tag in RSS to indicates tags, but
    some feedback mechanism would be useful, perhaps a central directory
    service that could be pinged to register approval (perhaps the CLOUD
    tag could be used this way?).

    My first impulse was to start adding tags to RSS, my second impulse was
    to scrap RSS and make my own XML standard for personal use
    (www.autostratus.com) but my third impulse was the realization that
    other people must have realized all this a year ago or so. So there
    must be other XML schemes out there, gaining acceptance right now, that
    offer developers a richer vocabulary for describing the stuff on the
    web.

    Can someone point me towards whatever XML vocabularies they think might
    facilliatate social search and tagging better than RSS?

    Many thanks in advance.

    Jake Barnes, Jan 2, 2006

  2. Jake Barnes

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Jake Barnes wrote:

    > Reading over this debate I came to realize that RSS is too limited to
    > mediate against the weaknesses and failures of social search:

    [...]
    > Can someone point me towards whatever XML vocabularies they think
    > might facilliatate social search and tagging better than RSS?

    Have a look at Atom.
    http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/Rss20AndAtom10Compared

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/

    Peter Flynn, Jan 2, 2006

  3. Jake Barnes

    Jake Barnes Guest

    Jake Barnes wrote:
    > I have the sense that at least one goal of all this social search and
    > tagging is to recreate what Amazon.com does for its products, where it
    > mentions "People who bought this product also liked these items:". But
    > with social search and tagging, I think the idea is to recreate what
    > Amazon is doing in a way that is open and distributed. People have, so
    > far, mostly been using the CATEGORY tag in RSS to indicates tags, but
    > some feedback mechanism would be useful, perhaps a central directory
    > service that could be pinged to register approval (perhaps the CLOUD
    > tag could be used this way?).
    >
    > My first impulse was to start adding tags to RSS, my second impulse was
    > to scrap RSS and make my own XML standard for personal use
    > (www.autostratus.com) but my third impulse was the realization that
    > other people must have realized all this a year ago or so. So there
    > must be other XML schemes out there, gaining acceptance right now, that
    > offer developers a richer vocabulary for describing the stuff on the
    > web.
    >
    > Can someone point me towards whatever XML vocabularies they think might
    > facilliatate social search and tagging better than RSS?

    Well, I discovered the answer on my own. Apparently a site has been
    launched to gather all data on possible RSS extensions:

    http://rss-extensions.org/wiki/Main_Page

    Jake Barnes, Jan 3, 2006