Ruby 1.8.5 released

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Hello,

We have just released the latest stable version of Ruby.
This is a bug fix release. There should be no big
difference from 1.8.4. We hope 1.8.5 is more stable and
reliable than its preceding versions.

ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/ruby-1.8.5.tar.gz
3fbb02294a8ca33d4684055adba5ed6f

Happy Hacking!

matz.

mortench

Great! I can't wait for the Windows Installer version of Ruby 1.8.5
(which will hopefully for a change be compiled with a recent MS
compiler such as MSVC++ 20005) :)

Cheers,
Morten

Dave Burt

mortench said:
Great! I can't wait for the Windows Installer version of Ruby 1.8.5
(which will hopefully for a change be compiled with a recent MS
compiler such as MSVC++ 20005) :)

I don't think that version of Microsoft's programming suite is due for
another 18000 years...

Cheers,
Dave

Austin Ziegler

Great! I can't wait for the Windows Installer version of Ruby 1.8.5
(which will hopefully for a change be compiled with a recent MS
compiler such as MSVC++ 20005) :)

Not until certain things have been worked out. ;)

-austin

Stephen Kellett

I hope not. Visual Studio 8.0 has introduced all sorts of stupidities to
the C/C++ world which should have stayed confined to the .NET world.

Stupidities like manifests and the inability to do
LoadLibrary("MSVCR80.DLL") for similar reasons.

I often build trivial apps for testing purposes and sometimes deploy
them to others computers. Not a problem with VC 6.0,7.0,7.1. Can't do it
with 8.0 - complains about missing manifests and all manner of things.
Can't find any documentation about it. I guess I should buy a $600
Windows Installer based installer so that I can deploy my trivial app
internally in the company (*). Simpler to stick with VC 6.0 and just
copy the two files required across the network.

Keep it simple, use VC 6.0, 7.0 or 7.1.

Stephen

(*) I did do this 5 years ago only to find that on most Windows NT 4.0
computers (in the UK at least) the MSI installer would fail and no patch
from MS would fix it. Solution: Use a non "Windows Installer" installer.

Jan Svitok

them to others computers. Not a problem with VC 6.0,7.0,7.1. Can't do it
with 8.0 - complains about missing manifests and all manner of things.

The name to look for is SideBySide. There is some redistributable
file, that will supposedly install the runtime and its manifests, so
the app won't complain. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the
file. Perhaps vcredist_x86.exe?

This seems like good info on the topic:
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=164465&SiteID=1

Curt Hibbs

[...]

I can tell you for a fact that 1.8.5 version of the One-Click
installer will still be VC++6 -- there is no time for migrating to a
new build system.

Beyond that, a decision has yet to be made on whether the OCI will
change to MinGW or VC++8. There was a long thread here on ruby-talk a
month or so ago where I asked people to post their thoughts on the
pros and cons of each choice. A lot of good information was posted,
but I haven't yet had time to analyze it (and there are still some
talks with Microsoft that haven't yet happened). My feeling is that
the arguments are leaning towards MinGW, but its not at all clear cut.

Thanks Stephen, for your input below. I don't recall those facts
coming out in the previous thread so I will add your comments in to
the mix.

Curt

Stephen Kellett

In message
Curt said:
Thanks Stephen, for your input below. I don't recall those facts
coming out in the previous thread so I will add your comments in to
the mix.

Sorry, I don't read all threads, must have missed it. I track a lot of
newsgroups, looking for various things and can't read everything. I'm
not yet good enough at Ruby to discuss the finer points most of you
discuss (I simply don't get the chance to write much Ruby in my work and
I'm far too busy or tired to do it in my spare time). Still despite
that, Ruby is up there with my favourite languages, C++ and assembly :)

For what its worth I vote to stick with VC6 (or some other form of
Visual Studio). It makes working on the Ruby code a lot easier,
especially if you have to drop into the debugger.

I can understand some open source purists may want to go some other
direction so they can have an open source debugger such as gdb etc.

I'm interested in using the best tool for the job, so its Visual Studio
if you are on Windows. I'd imagine that anyone that works on Windows
will already have Visual Studio and won't want to learn (or re-learn in
my case) emacs/gdb (*) as debugging combination.

I'm hoping to get some time later this year to do the work I said I'd do
on the memory allocation tracker and some other stuff. I won't do this
work if it moves away from Visual Studio. It will then be too much
effort. This will most likely before you get to choose which direction
to go.

Stephen

(*) I'm pretty sure emacs is what caused my RSI what with all the
Alt-this Ctrl-that key combinations. So I'm going to resist going there
as an IDE.