/ruby/1.8 and /ruby/site_ruby/1.8

listrecv

What is the difference between /ruby/1.8 and /ruby/site_ruby/1.8 ?
(I can see from $: which has priority, but my question is - what is
supposed to go where)

I think that some problems might be caused when a library gets
installed to both, perhaps with the wrong .so being loaded - not
sure.... Is this possible?

(My questions are towards ruby in general, but specifically towards the
Windows One Click Installer)

Trans

It depends The exact use and layout depends on your OS.

For all OSes, ruby/1.8/ holds the core and sandard libs --those that
are part of the Ruby distribution proper. And site_ruby/1.8/ holds 3rd
party libs.

Your OS package manager might install addiitonal libs in either of
these depending on it's own practices. (I wonder what they SHOULD do?)
Another potential directory for such things is ruby/gems/1.8/ which
stores libs installed via RubyGems.

T.

listrecv

1.8.2 of the Windows Installer put OpenSSL in one place - 1.8.4 in the
other. This caused conflicts (I believe the wrong binary was being
loaded) until I manually removed one.