    ruby? I'd like to be able to write ruby scripts for testing and have
    them talk to my c# program.

    Thanks.
    Jayson Bailey, Oct 24, 2007

  2. Jayson Bailey

    Guest

    On 10/24/07, Jayson Bailey <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a way or have any links for how to integrate c# and
    > ruby? I'd like to be able to write ruby scripts for testing and have
    > them talk to my c# program.

    some links:
    http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyclr/
    (unfortunately, pretty much dead since):
    http://www.ironruby.net/
    also, see:
    http://plas2003.fit.qut.edu.au/Ruby.NET/

    also:
    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-mono/
    or:
    http://www.saltypickle.com/RubyDotNet

    I have used rubyclr and ruby-mono.
    , Oct 25, 2007

  3. Jayson Bailey

    Bill Plummer Guest

    Jayson,

    This may help if you use Visual Studio 2005...

    Go to http://www.sapphiresteel.com/ and get their free plug-in that will
    allow you to create windows forms and talk to Matz's Ruby 1.8.6 on the
    back-end.

    They specialize in a VS2005 plug-in for Ruby development, but have a
    free version, and the windows forms plug-in is free as well.

    Bill

    Bill Plummer, Oct 25, 2007
  4. Jayson Bailey wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a way or have any links for how to integrate c# and
    > ruby? I'd like to be able to write ruby scripts for testing and have
    > them talk to my c# program.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I've been wrestling this problem quite a bit lately.
    The Ruby Bridge plugin by the Saphire Steel guys looks pretty good but
    it has one drawback:
    It expects the interpreter to be installed somewhere. This makes
    distribution of your app a two step process (install ruby, install app).
    This has proven a reason *not* to use the plugin in my work, even though
    it gives you complete access to the Ruby objects.
    I opted for making an exe out of my ruby code (with rubyscript2exe) and
    using System.Diagnostics.Process to call it.
    Interaction is in one case through stdin, stdout (make sure you use the
    events of Process and read asynchronously otherwise the stdout buffer
    gets full and blocks the process) .
    In the other case it was trivial (from the Ruby side...from the C# side
    it took a bit more - but then I am more accomplished in Ruby than C#) to
    setup a TCP connection and pipe data through.
    One crazy idea that comes to mind is to make the inner Ruby app host a
    webserver and imlpement a REST interface to call from the C# code. More
    of an intresting exercise than a very practical implementation method I
    guess.
    Until IronRuby reaches 1.0Cheers,
    V.-

    --