Ruby + Apache, scripts not being interpreted

nobrow

I am trying to get Ruby running on Apache. I may or may not have a
problem. What do you think?

I have a test site called ruby-test set up with a vhost. When I go to
rails-test/ I see the "Welcome Aboard" page. But when I click the
"About your application's environment" link the script doesnt get
interpreted ... I just see it as text. I havent gone any further than
this, as I have been trying to get that script to run.

rails-test/public/.htaccess looks like:

AddHandler fcgid-script .fcgi
Options +FollowSymLinks +ExecCGI
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^$ index.html [QSA]
RewriteRule ^([^.]+)$ $1.html [QSA]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ dispatch.fcgi [QSA,L]
ErrorDocument 500 "<h2>Application error</h2>Rails application failed
to start properly"

The vhost .conf for the site looks like:

<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot "/var/www/webroot/rails-test/public"
ServerName rails-test
<Directory "/var/www/webroot/rails-test/public">
Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride all
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Is the problem that the .rb file that the link points to is in a
directory that doesnt have +ExecCGI set? What must I do to fix this?
Am quite stuck.

I guess one solution is to get mod_ruby working right? But I cant
figure out how to check if it is working already, or find a set of
instructions how to install it.

Help greatly appreciated, thanks.

[...]

Bump

John Joyce

[...]

Rails Talk will be your best source of an answer for this.

James Britt

nobrow said:
I am trying to get Ruby running on Apache. I may or may not have a
problem. What do you think?

I have a test site called ruby-test set up with a vhost. When I go to
rails-test/ I see the "Welcome Aboard" page. But when I click the
"About your application's environment" link the script doesnt get
interpreted ... I just see it as text. I havent gone any further than
this, as I have been trying to get that script to run.

You also may have to tell apache that files ending in .rb are to be
handled via cgi. Otherwise, it really is just text.

AddHandler cgi-script .rb

Check the archives for threads on Ruby + CGI

--
James Britt

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, but the illusion
of knowledge."
- D. Boorstin