ruby classifier

Ryo Fojiba

I tried installing ruby classifier using
sudo gem install classifier
but when I try to use classifier I get

irb(main):001:0> require "classifier"
LoadError: no such file to load -- classifier
from (irb):1:in `require'
from (irb):1

What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

Logan Capaldo

I tried installing ruby classifier using
sudo gem install classifier
but when I try to use classifier I get

irb(main):001:0> require "classifier"
LoadError: no such file to load -- classifier
from (irb):1:in `require'
from (irb):1

What am I doing wrong? Thank you.
Didja try
require 'rubygems'
require 'classifier'

?

Colin Brander

Ah, whoops, that part is fixed now. But when to add items to the LSI
classifier, I get:
from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi/content_node.rb:37:in
`initialize'

i.e., I get these "wrong number of arguments" errors as soon as I try to
add more than one item.

Any idea about this?

Dan Wade

I've spent a couple of days trying to get LSI Classifer to work. The
Bayesian library works fine (and is fun), but LSI is not working for me.
I have the GSL installed and the ruby-gsl wrapper, which seem to be
working fine. However, I get the same error as mentioned in the previous
post. The error occurs as the 2nd item is added to the index. It occurs
somewhere within the rebuild_index procedure. If auto_index is switched
off, items can be added infinitum. Please help :S

#--------test script

require 'rubygems'
require 'gsl'
require 'classifier'
require 'stemmer'

lsi = Classifier::LSI.new
strings = [ ["This text deals with dogs. Dogs.", :dog],
["This text involves dogs too. Dogs! ", :dog],
["This text revolves around cats. Cats.", :cat],
["This text also involves cats. Cats!", :cat],
["This text involves birds. Birds.",:bird ]]
strings.each {|x| lsi.add_item x.first, x.last}

lsi.search("dog", 3)
# returns => ["This text deals with dogs. Dogs.", "This text involves
dogs too
Dogs! ",
# "This text also involves cats. Cats!"]

lsi.find_related(strings[2], 2)
# returns => ["This text revolves around cats. Cats.", "This text also
involve
s cats. Cats!"]

lsi.classify "This text is also about dogs!"
# returns => :dog

#--------error

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/extensions/string.rb:6:Warning:
require_gem is obsolete. Use gem instead.
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi/content_node.rb:37:in
`initialize': wrong number of arguments (1 for 0) (ArgumentError)
from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi/content_node.rb:37:in
`new'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi/content_node.rb:37:in
`raw_vector_with'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi.rb:123:in
`build_index'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi.rb:123:in
`collect'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi.rb:123:in
`build_index'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi.rb:65:in
`add_item'
from lsitest.rb:12
from lsitest.rb:12:in `each'
from lsitest.rb:12

Dan

Cameron McBride

Dan and Colin,

The current version of Classifier's LSI is kind of broken. It was
half in development ages ago and for whatever reason the "stable"
version got merged with a half-working dev version. For a number of
reasons (which I'll omit), development stalled and it wasn't cleaned
up.

I wasn't involved directly with the main development of Classifier,
but I did have some involvement with some of the not-so-implemented
ideas. I've been extremely busy for a couple months, but sometime
soon I hope to smooth over some of the LSI issues to get it stable
again.

I'll look into the exact error you both are posting - if it's
something workaroundable I'll let you know.

Cameron

Dan Wade

Cameron said:
Dan and Colin,

The current version of Classifier's LSI is kind of broken. It was
half in development ages ago and for whatever reason the "stable"
version got merged with a half-working dev version. For a number of
reasons (which I'll omit), development stalled and it wasn't cleaned
up.

I wasn't involved directly with the main development of Classifier,
but I did have some involvement with some of the not-so-implemented
ideas. I've been extremely busy for a couple months, but sometime
soon I hope to smooth over some of the LSI issues to get it stable
again.

I'll look into the exact error you both are posting - if it's
something workaroundable I'll let you know.

Cameron

Cameron, Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the difficulty in
maintaining these things, so thanks for any input you can provide. If I
find a fix, I'll post it here.

Regards
Dan