    from (irb):1:in `require'
    from (irb):1

    What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

    Ryo Fojiba, Mar 28, 2007

  2. On 3/28/07, Ryo Fojiba <> wrote:
    > I tried installing ruby classifier using
    > sudo gem install classifier
    > but when I try to use classifier I get
    >
    > irb(main):001:0> require "classifier"
    > LoadError: no such file to load -- classifier
    > from (irb):1:in `require'
    > from (irb):1
    >
    > What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

    Didja try
    require 'rubygems'
    require 'classifier'

    ?

    Logan Capaldo, Mar 28, 2007

  3. Ah, whoops, that part is fixed now. But when to add items to the LSI
    classifier, I get:

    >> lsi.add_item( "This is a turtle.", :turtle )

    => nil
    >> lsi.add_item( "This is a cuckoo.", :cuckoo )

    from
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi/content_node.rb:37:in
    `initialize'

    i.e., I get these "wrong number of arguments" errors as soon as I try to
    add more than one item.

    Any idea about this?

    Colin Brander, Mar 28, 2007
  4. Ryo Fojiba

    Dan Wade Guest

    I've spent a couple of days trying to get LSI Classifer to work. The
    Bayesian library works fine (and is fun), but LSI is not working for me.
    I have the GSL installed and the ruby-gsl wrapper, which seem to be
    working fine. However, I get the same error as mentioned in the previous
    post. The error occurs as the 2nd item is added to the index. It occurs
    somewhere within the rebuild_index procedure. If auto_index is switched
    off, items can be added infinitum. Please help :S

    #--------test script

    require 'rubygems'
    require 'gsl'
    require 'classifier'
    require 'stemmer'

    lsi = Classifier::LSI.new
    strings = [ ["This text deals with dogs. Dogs.", :dog],
    ["This text involves dogs too. Dogs! ", :dog],
    ["This text revolves around cats. Cats.", :cat],
    ["This text also involves cats. Cats!", :cat],
    ["This text involves birds. Birds.",:bird ]]
    strings.each {|x| lsi.add_item x.first, x.last}

    lsi.search("dog", 3)
    # returns => ["This text deals with dogs. Dogs.", "This text involves
    dogs too
    Dogs! ",
    # "This text also involves cats. Cats!"]

    lsi.find_related(strings[2], 2)
    # returns => ["This text revolves around cats. Cats.", "This text also
    involve
    s cats. Cats!"]

    lsi.classify "This text is also about dogs!"
    # returns => :dog

    #--------error

    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/extensions/string.rb:6:Warning:
    require_gem is obsolete. Use gem instead.
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi/content_node.rb:37:in
    `initialize': wrong number of arguments (1 for 0) (ArgumentError)
    from
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi/content_node.rb:37:in
    `new'
    from
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi/content_node.rb:37:in
    `raw_vector_with'
    from
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi.rb:123:in
    `build_index'
    from
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi.rb:123:in
    `collect'
    from
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi.rb:123:in
    `build_index'
    from
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi.rb:65:in
    `add_item'
    from lsitest.rb:12
    from lsitest.rb:12:in `each'
    from lsitest.rb:12

    Dan

    Dan Wade, Apr 7, 2007
  5. Dan and Colin,

    The current version of Classifier's LSI is kind of broken. It was
    half in development ages ago and for whatever reason the "stable"
    version got merged with a half-working dev version. For a number of
    reasons (which I'll omit), development stalled and it wasn't cleaned
    up.

    I wasn't involved directly with the main development of Classifier,
    but I did have some involvement with some of the not-so-implemented
    ideas. I've been extremely busy for a couple months, but sometime
    soon I hope to smooth over some of the LSI issues to get it stable
    again.

    I'll look into the exact error you both are posting - if it's
    something workaroundable I'll let you know.

    Cameron

    Cameron McBride, Apr 10, 2007
  6. Ryo Fojiba

    Dan Wade Guest

    Cameron McBride wrote:
    > Dan and Colin,
    >
    > The current version of Classifier's LSI is kind of broken. It was
    > half in development ages ago and for whatever reason the "stable"
    > version got merged with a half-working dev version. For a number of
    > reasons (which I'll omit), development stalled and it wasn't cleaned
    > up.
    >
    > I wasn't involved directly with the main development of Classifier,
    > but I did have some involvement with some of the not-so-implemented
    > ideas. I've been extremely busy for a couple months, but sometime
    > soon I hope to smooth over some of the LSI issues to get it stable
    > again.
    >
    > I'll look into the exact error you both are posting - if it's
    > something workaroundable I'll let you know.
    >
    > Cameron

    Cameron, Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the difficulty in
    maintaining these things, so thanks for any input you can provide. If I
    find a fix, I'll post it here.

    Regards
    Dan

    Dan Wade, Apr 10, 2007