Ruby Course

Brian Schroeder

Hello Everybody,

here at my university we want to give some summer courses organized by
students for the students. As we already have a Python course, I thought
giving also a Ruby introductory course would be a good Idea for making
Ruby more widely known. The course will be a three days block seminar.

My question is, if somebody already has material for a ruby course that
he/she wants to share? The audience is second to fifth year diploma
students of IT.

regards,

Brian Schröder

Brian Schroeder

I thought about my post and decided that the subject line did not say
anything about the content. So heres the post 1.1:

I want to give a three days ruby-course at my university and wonder if
anybody has got some material to share?

Thanks a lot,

Brian

PS: That was shorter and more precise I hope ;)

Armin Roehrl

Brian said:
I thought about my post and decided that the subject line did not say
anything about the content. So heres the post 1.1:

I want to give a three days ruby-course at my university and wonder if
anybody has got some material to share?
The only English ruby slides we have:
http://www.approximity.com/ruby/MUC_en/img1.html
I can email you the open-office source.

irb rocks. Use irb extensively.

Try to get the audience into coding sth. and explain features
while you fix their programs.

Good luck,
-A.

Robert Feldt

I introduced an OO pseudolanguage in lecture 8 in my SW Eng course last
year to show an example of a design pattern in practice. In the last
slide I revealed that it wasn't pseudocode but real (Ruby) code. I then
executed the code "live", made some changes and added an observer etc.
It worked out quite well and maybe the slides may be of some use:

http://datavet.htu.se/kurser/PVD010/seht03_slides_lecture8_patterns_in_practice.pdf

the source code and some more info is available on the page

http://datavet.htu.se/kurser/PVD010/lecture_slides.html

it was lecture number 8 a bit down on the page.

For a later verification and validation course I introduced Ruby in the
first week and used it throughout the course. I started a "book" called
"Ruby by Example" but it didn't pan out very well so it was never
continued. Anyway it might be of some interest:

http://datavet.htu.se/kurser/KVC010/ruby_by_example_kvc010_vt2004.pdf

Regards,

Robert Feldt