    Thx,
    -A.

    Armin Roehrl, http://www.approximity.com
    Armin Roehrl, Jul 11, 2003

  2. On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 10:20:57PM +0900, Armin Roehrl wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would be thankful if s.b. could
    > give me a link dealing with Cyrillic encoding in Russian.

    Which encoding? :) There are around 27 cyrillic encodings.
    Most of commonly used are supported by iconv() -- this reduces number of
    them to 4-6.

    > I want todo trivial things like checking whether a letter
    > is upper-or lower-case ,etc.

    Look into glibc's Cyrillic locales definitions, together with selected
    encodings.

    --
    / Alexander Bokovoy
    ---
    Alexander Bokovoy, Jul 11, 2003

  3. Armin Roehrl

    Armin Roehrl Guest

    > Look into glibc's Cyrillic locales definitions, together with selected
    > encodings.

    Thank you very much. I see I have to invest a bit of time
    here to learn the basics first. :).
    Have a good weekend,
    -A.
    Armin Roehrl, Jul 11, 2003
  4. Saluton!

    * Armin Roehrl; 2003-07-11, 20:36 UTC:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would be thankful if s.b. could give me a link dealing with
    > Cyrillic encoding in Russian.

    Cyrillic Charset Soup by Roman Czyborra has information about the
    encoding of languages using cyrillic letters and why most people do
    not use ISO 8859-5:

    http://czyborra.com/charsets/cyrillic.html

    Information about character encoding is also available at my home
    page. Try any of these URLs:

    http://members.lycos.nl/jupp/charsets/
    http://mitglied.lycos.de/buran/charsets/
    http://members.fortunecity.com/deusxmachina/charsets/

    *Note:* For covering *all* cyrillic (not just the characters used for
    Russian) you have to use Unicode. All other encodings lack some
    characters.

    Gis,

    Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
    --
    N'attribuez jamais à la malice ce que l'incompétence explique !
    -- Napoléon
    Josef 'Jupp' Schugt, Jul 12, 2003